PDA

View Full Version : Oversize table for 48x48

brucehiggins
02-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Have any of you a put an oversize table on a 48x48 bot? I was thinking of extending the table a couple feet on each end to help when I need to cut a longer piece of plywood, repositioning it after the first cut. Since I couldn't surface the extended portions, it seems like I would have to make adjustable extensions. Any suggestions?
Bruce

brucehiggins
02-11-2008, 09:49 AM
More specifically, does it make sense to extend the support board that goes on the table frame? What I really need is some kind of adjustable outfeed table. I will come up w/ something. I just was hoping someone had a good solution already. Thanks,
Bruce

scottcox
02-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Bruce,

If you're doing extension construction to mill larger pieces, it may be economical for you to buy longer x rails and just build a bigger table.

brucehiggins
02-11-2008, 10:48 AM
If I did that or made my own what would be a good way to keep the extension surface even w/ the main 48x48 surface when resurfacing the spoil board? Just have extension spoil board pieces that I remove, place in center and resurface to match the thickness of the 48x48 spoil board? Seems like that would work. I will be making signs and shop cabinets mostly so am not concerned w/ micro tolerances.

brucehiggins
02-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I guess another option is have a 48" x 96" spoil board that I resurface one half at a time by sliding it one way then the other.
The majority of my work will be 48x48 or less.

jay_p
02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Bruce,

We have a 48 x 48, and I use outfeed roller stands to support the ends of longer pieces. You could also build some type of adjustable top cart that would serve the purpose too. I think that a longer spoil board would get in the way.

Jay

brucehiggins
02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks Jay. I think I will follow your advice. I put a longer sheet on the frame and it looks like it will be in the way too much to justify the occasional use.