PDA

View Full Version : New to Shopbot

johnnie53
02-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I recently bought a used PR96 Circa June 99. I own a Custom Cabinet shop and plan on using it for doing Dado cuts, and system holes(5mm) in Plywood Cabinet end panels(base,uppers,pantry,etc.)Sort of a Poor mans PTP router. Does anyone have a parts file for doing simple dadoing,drilling holes. I'm reading the manual and trying to make sense out of it,making some progress. One of the guys at Shopbot suggests that I buy PartsWizard as it will work fine with the older PR model(first I need to come up with $495)Is this a good idea,or is the DOS Shopbot software with Delta Cad just as good?. Are there any Shopboters close to the Eugene,Oregon area? Thanks in advance.

pierrewessels@hotmail.com
02-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Part Wizard is VERY easy to learn and use. If you are new to the world of CNC programming it will save you countless headaches and problems. In comparison to other CAD/CAM packages it is a bargain at $495. You should be able to start cutting basic shapes, lines (Dado's) and drill holes within a few hours of loading the software.
Pierre in Vancouver BC

cedarknight
02-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I seconded that. PartsWizard was a big help over the previous toolpath software. And the newest version PartsWizard II, is what you would get, is even better. If a person could afford it, Insignia is even better. But at least get PartsWizard. It took off my dunce cap and sent me to the ahead of the class. Bret in Iowa.

andrewm
02-01-2005, 09:32 PM
John,

Get Parts Wizard and you will quickly find that your new Shopbot will become one of the most usefull tools you own and do a lot more for you than just dado cuts and system holes.

Andrew

johnnie53
02-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Andrew, I plan on getting Parts Wizard, just right now money is tight. Shopbot did offer me a rebate of sorts with the software when I upgrade to a Alpha (which I will finance maybe this summer or at least next year). Right now I need the machine for dado cuts , system holes would be a bonus. (I have a very good system drill) , just to do it all when the cabinet part is on the machine would be a bonus.

don_ask
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Money being a problem I understand. When I first started I found that I could use a cheap Cad program that would export dxf files. Use the ShopBot converter to make your cut file. It takes little time to figure out how to offset for the bit size, but other than that, A easy CAD program will do everything you need to cut cabnets and shelves.

beacon14
02-01-2005, 11:51 PM
John, Don is right especially if you already are fluent with a design software. For simple things like holes and dadoes it's easy to figure out how to draw a toolpath (as opposed to drawing a part), and the ShopBot converter will create your cutting file from that.
If you have to start from scratch with a design software, it may be worth figuring out how to get PartWizard, as you will want it sooner or later and that way you only have to learn one program. For me the time to learn even a simple program reasonably well would cost more than buying PartWizard.

And, to answer your first question, I have been working on a simple program to drill all my system holes on the ShopBot. I used to pre-drill my cabinet sides by hand with templates for each hardware type, now I can enter the type and length of slide and distances from the bottom of the panel, and the 'Bot drills all my hinge and drawer slide holes. I haven't done the shelf holes yet as I drill them on a 7-spindle hinge-bore machine, but I probably will switch over to doing that on the 'Bot as well pretty soon (limited time to play with programming). I also haven't written anything for dadoes as I don't dado my cabinets, but it wouldn't be hard to do a similar semi-automated routine. I have been thinking about offering the file to anyone who might want to try it, as much to see how many people would find something like that useful as anything else.
So, if anyone wants to give it a spin and tell me what they think, just drop me an e-mail.