View Full Version : My machine is still cuttign a bit small.

knight_toolworks
04-17-2009, 02:17 AM
I got one of the new pinion gears and replaced the y pinion. Then I did some test cuts with a ¼” bit and a ½” bit.
This is on a prt alpha.
I am getting about the same cuts a 2” square box comes out about 1.98 or a bit larger in the y axis and 1.99 or so on the x axis.
I was cutting some mdf at .2 depths and I tried regular and climb cut. I tried .5 1 and 3ips. It got worse the faster I went. But we are not talking a lot but still .02 is a fair amount on a light cut. The ¼” bits measure around .247 the cut was better with a ½” bit closer to 1.99 then 1.98
But I don’t know why it is on in the x but not the y. I don’t find any play in the y axis when I tug on it.
Climb cuts are pretty much right on.
the multiplier settings are all default and are the same for the x and the y and the z.
my depth tends to be off by about .01 though not always .01 not deep enough.

rcnewcomb
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Have you measured the hole when the square is cut? The hole should be the width of the square plus 2 times the bit diameter. Is the hole undersized as well?

What I am looking for is runout vs. motion in the X or Y direction. Runout would make the hole larger and the part smaller. Check with both climb and conventional cutting to see if there is any difference.

What are your Units values?

dubliner
04-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Why "plus 2 times the diameter of bit"?

rcnewcomb
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
quote:Why "plus 2 times the diameter of bit"?
Once for the left side and once for the right side.

knight_toolworks
04-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I just checked as I had forgotten looks like with the 1/2" bit the cut is 1.99 with the y and 1.98 with the x. I have not changed the pinions yet on the x I should have them today.

erik_f
04-17-2009, 04:00 PM
You have to add two times the bit diameter because its a 1/4" on every side of the work piece. So if you are measuring across a hole made from cutting out a 2" square...the hole would be 2.5" in an ideal world with a 1/4" bit. Am I making sense or just saying the same thing Randall said with different words.

mims
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
When I was adjusting my cnc (not shopbot), I used a 1/4 bit that was really .243". I made a toolpath that was essentially a capital E, where each 'finger' of the E and each gap was .5".

If each finger and gap were equally away from the .5" dimension measured with quality calipers (say finger was .52 and gap was .48), I knew the machine was set correctly and then I just needed to adjust the bit size in the toolpath program.

dubliner
04-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Randall & Eric, got it!, about one second after I hit send I realized what you meant.

knight_toolworks
04-18-2009, 06:54 PM
ok got the pinions all changed and I get 1.99 on both sides of the square if I cut at 1ips. if I cut at 3ips it goes to about 1.97-8 but that's only cutting .2 deep in mdf with a stubby 1/2" straight bit that came with the machine.

gerryv
04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Coming from being a metal lathe/mill tinkerer, any significant deflection you get is not going to be from a 1/2" dia. stubby bit unless they're a lot skinnier through their "waist" than a typical metal mill bit is. You should be able to rule that factor out as I see it anyway. But, in fairness, a router is not designed to match a HAAS or Bridgeport in terms of rigidity either :-)