PDA

View Full Version : Bullnose router bit life

cedars
07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
I have a huge project to put 3 different edges on 1" thick oak table tops. I am wondering what type of life I should calculate per bit. The average table top size is approx. 40" square. I potentially have up to 5000 tops per month. If I am looking at 150 tops per bit at say $150/bit, I need to account for those big bucks. I have absolutely no experience with such a production type setting and how much life to expect of any type of bit.

I'll appreciate any input.

Steve

gene
07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Buy good bits , several of them and locate a good sharpening facility near you . This will of course lower your overall bit cost per top. Can you post the edge profiles they want?

myxpykalix
07-22-2009, 11:53 PM
First off, not sure why you would have to spend $150.00 per bit? If you need 3 bits @$150.00=$450.00/per 150 tops adds $3.00 per top.

To do 5000 tops that equates to 33 bits (times 3) or 99 bits total X $150.00 ea.= $14,850.00 in bit costs.

So like steve says i think you can resharpen bits to reduce your cost, also if you go to a mfg and say i want to buy 100 bits i think you can get a better price plus i think you can do way better than $150.00 in the first place.

But when you do the math as you can see you make a lot less than you think you will be making. Just curious as to what you will be making on this deal to see if it justifys the costs and work involved. Good luck and i hope it works out for you.

landdesign
07-23-2009, 01:53 AM
to me this say's insert cutter all over it. the upfront cost will be a little more, but the carbide in the replacements are a whole lot cheaper. I have been building my stock over time to offset the sticker shock. I also seem to get a longer life from the carbide in the inserts too. you'd have to do some checking, but I'd guess you'd be 450 into the head and then only 15 to 30 bucks after that for the replacement carbide, maybe less if you buy in bulk. might be something to check into.

Erik

jerry_stanek
07-23-2009, 06:09 AM
See what a Diamond bit would cost? A friend of mine used them on his big Biesse rover at a store fixture company. He said carbide would last about half a day but the diamond wold cut for almost a month.

cabnet636
07-23-2009, 08:12 AM
having had a bit of experience in the heyday of applebee's and other chains during major growth i would take a deep breath at that volume and the machinery it takes, machining the wood, glue up, surfacing and then finishing is an undertaking!! i would make doggone sure you have a good relationship with a good sharpener and seriously consider setting up to do it in house. buy 20 to 30 bits + and plan on turnaround time and replacement. also 5000 a month at 50-100 to a restaraunt or facility is 50-100 units a month, that is a biggggggg order in this economy. get a three month or 15000 top order before spending a dime.

cedars
07-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I am very much appreciating everyone's input and experience, but let me clarify a few points to this project.

A) The owners of this project have contractual agreements signed to provide 5000 tops per month to various outlets. The contracts are for one year. The anticipated growth of this line may grow from there. That's a big "IF".

B) Another facility is milling the wood and gluing up the 1" thick oak blanks. My roll will be to apply one of 3 different profiles to each top according to the orders. So there are 3 different profiled edges the customer can chose from. Only one profile thus one bit per table top. From my shop the tops go to another facility for the finishing.

C) The $150 bit issue: I pulled 150 out of the air as I have no experience with the larger profile bits with replaceable cutters. So I am showing my ignorance. Are these bits able to maybe take off up to 1/4" of material while putting the profile on and can this be done in one pass and at what speed????

D) I have no idea if the Bot could put out that kind of production. I bought my machine this past December and my experiences are all on the new side now.

E) There are approx 5 square/rectangle sizes and the same in circles. The largest square and circle is 4'. What kind of jig would I have to make for each of the multiple sizes in order to allow the cutter to cut the top and bottom edges in one pass? In all 3 styles the bottom edge has a profile to it so the bit will need to wrap around the full 1" thickness.

I hope all this helps give a better picture of the project.

Thanks all!!

Steve

beacon14
07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
If the transition between the edge and the top are critical, like in a bullnose edge, you may be asking for trouble expecting to run around the perimeter of an existing blank and get an even transition all the way around. No matter how good the other facility is in making up the tops they will not be perfectly flat, and you will likely get some inconsistency in the transition between the edge profile and the top, flat surface, unless you can work out some way to register the bit to the surface as it cuts.

If the profile has a step-down at the top surface, it might not be an issue.

Will the tops already be cut to size before you get them or are you also cutting the final size as you go? If they are already cut to size then registration will also be an issue since you need to rout all the way around.

I'd consider a large shaper and stock feeder for this project, or possibly even hand-held routers.

Also, do not underestimate the handling time involved in loading and unloading 5,000 large, heavy pieces in and out of your shop. Do you have a forklift?

cedars
07-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I have one profile that has a step down. The bullnose and the third profile, I was planning on having the cutters made so that the profile flares outward toward the top and bottom of the bit. This should eliminate the registration issue.

I have considered the moving of all the materials and fortunately I do have a forklift.