View Full Version : Black and Decker buys Porter Cable

spektr
11-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Don't know what this means for continued availability of the good PC stuff, but Im concerned about degradation of the PC product line. Thought you'd like ot know about it.

Scott.

artisan
11-26-2004, 12:33 PM
It concerns me a bit too....however, they've owned Dewalt Tools for several years now and the quality has continued to be above average. The deal also includes Delta Tools, Devilbiss Air Power, Oldham Saw and Flex tools as well as the Porter Cable line. I'm sure some "crossbreeding" and pruning will occur, but I doubt we'll notice much if the Dewalt business model is followed....D

jemelby
12-05-2004, 10:33 PM
This actually sounds rather tragic to me. I have always enjoyed researching a new tool purchase. Dewalt and Porter Cable invariably make the pre-final cut. I guess I'll have to start looking at Milwakee and the Japanese brands a bit closer, now. Or maybe the "extreme" Euro stuff like Festool.

Anyway, nature can't tolorate a void, so I'm sure someone will fill the gap on my comparison charts.

johnnie53
12-06-2004, 10:36 AM
James, I was looking at a ad for the Festool, 3.5 HP Router and it's well over 16 amps. If you try one out let us know how it works. The Bot I'm buying in January won't have the PC motor in it,as the current owner is going to use it for somthing else.I'll most likely buy a new PC motor,but hoping some one would find a better,less noisy motor. Arn't there other options for Spindle motors, I know Colombo is spindle of choice for the folks at ShopBot, is this a option? I know as it is the bot needs to be set up for a spindle(C Board).Can you even put a spindle motor on a 99' PR ?

bleeth
12-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Once upon a time many fine craftsman built a variety of automobiles in America-Now there are three conglomerates and each companies models look alike and are engineered the same. Same thing in the Marine industry which is now monopolized by a few companies which produce models marginally cosmetically different from each other. If you were around long enough to remember a Dewalt Radial Saw before the brand was killed and reborn as a plastic fantastic toy than you already know what is going to happen to PC and Delta. If you want to know what a real Dewalt tool is find the "old original saw company" and check out a real tool. Dewalt now bears as much relation to the old Dewalt as the "New" Oliver equipment does to the old.
A memory of basic tools and equipment built right can be a curse. I still have a 40 year old Skil circle saw that I can't kill while I have gone through 4 other "new and improved" Makita, Bosch, and PC's, none of which had the edge of the base parallel to the blade or adjustable for same when new. Oh well-that's my rant. Even the Unisaw and the 66 are a long way from what they were just a decade ago. I just hope B&D doesn't get it's mitts on Milwaukee.

Dave

gerald_d
12-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Dave, I can also remember those good old days - when cars had to have an engine overhaul before 100 000 miles, the body showed rust within a year, all the suspension bushes wore out in 3 years, and brakes needed constant attention.

fleinbach
12-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Aaahh! the good old days. When men where men and women weren't sure what they wanted to be.

Brady Watson
12-07-2004, 10:09 AM
"I just hope B&D doesn't get it's mitts on Milwaukee."

Amen...and God save the queen!

-Brady

scott_smith
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM
And a good CNC started at $500,000

bleeth
12-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey Gerald-My wife's two year old Volvo S-80 (38K US new) is in having the roof repainted due to rust, and my brand new Lariat (30K US) with less then 6K miles already has grooves on the front discs and needs to have the wheels cleaned every couple of days from disc pad dust. I guess "These are the good old days"!!
(Credit Carly Simon)

waynelocke
12-07-2004, 11:50 PM
If you were around in the 70's and early 80's when Rockwell owned Delta and what was both before and later Porter Cable and you know that Rockwell built most of the shuttle, the Challenger disaster made perfect sense. Rockwell ran the brand into the ground with poor service and accountant designed tools. When Pentair was formed and owned Delta and PC the service and product improved. I do worry about B&D's ownership
but at least they make tools so they are least in the same ball park. It could be worse. Kellog's could have bought them.
Wayne Locke

Papa Dave (Unregistered Guest)
12-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Well I have to add a little to the last one, I have a Rockwell/Delta 8" (PORTABLE) table saw it is built like a tank! Made out of cast iron it truely is a portable,desktop design, only weighs in at 95lbs. I haven't used it for years until just about 3 days ago after someone broke in and stole my new ridgid ten inch portable, well I'm on my 2nd visit to the Ciropractor tomorrow, Great tool though just don't try ripping a 2x4 David in Wyoming