PDA

View Full Version : Really dissapointed in new amana bit.

knight_toolworks
09-26-2009, 11:14 AM
my customer bought one of the new amana miterfold bits rc 1045. it is supposed to be a 45 degree total bit or 22.5. but after cutting the parts and seeing they were off I checked the bit and it is about 42 degrees. this is way off for a bit and a high end cnc bit. so if I get a new knife will it be off too? makes me wonder.

cnc_works
09-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Interesting. I would say that a new knife will not cure the problem. I was just about to buy a 60deg Amana bit for engraving because they guarantee no more than a .002" flat at the bottom of the cut. My Her-saf 90deg is more like .02" and unacceptable for a lot of fine engraving.

Are there any other mfrs that produce insertable knife bits?

Donn

knight_toolworks
09-26-2009, 11:55 AM
this was the last job for the bit so I could use it for v carving. in this bit the carbide is ground to the 45. where the lesser angled bits have a flat cutter.

donclifton
09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
That bit is made to cut just short of thru and then you can fold it. Look on their web site. They do make a 90 deg bit.
Thanks
Don

srwtlc
09-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I've had the same problem with Her-Saf. The first 90º cutter/insert I got was out of balance so bad that I couldn't run it above 10,000- 12,000 RPM. Sent that one back and got a replacement that was balanced, but cut in an orbit. Sent that one back and was told that I need a special one that is set for a 0º point. That one works better, but not for anything that requires some smaller detail because the insert can still be tightened slightly out of place. As Donn said, unacceptable for CNC work and fine detail.

GioAttisano
09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I had trouble with their 60 degree bit making some miterfold hexagons. I had them ship me another, and after fussing with it awhile, shifting its location on the holder, many times, I got good results. So while I was disappointed it didn't work correctly right out of the box, it still turned out to be the best tool for the job. Stayed sharp a long time. But it won't work for the geometrically impaired!

knight_toolworks
09-28-2009, 10:44 PM
I think this bit was made this way with a little bit of leeway for the bend.
the tip on this is fully ground so changing the position would not make a difference.