PDA

View Full Version : PRT INDEXER VALUES

chip
02-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Does anyone out there know what the values are for the indexer on a PRT? I am still using the old motor from the PR that I upgraded. It is a 7.2/.25 step motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chip Marshall

www.marshallsmillwork.com

chip
03-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey Folks,

Thanks for all of the input! I appreciate the help from the online and offline users. I was banging my head on the steel table and it dawned on me that I had the right numbers, at one time, for the old PR machine. When we upgraded to the PRT, we kept the old indexer drive. I had the same problem with that system. After hours (days) of trial and error, I finally found the correct number by adding, subtracting and spinning the indexer 100 turns and checking level. I banged my head hard enough that I needed to lean against the machine. It so happened, that when I opened my eyes, I was staring at the correct numbers, for the PR, that I had written on the wall where the old controller and laptop had been. It then clicked that Brian Allenson (sorry if I butchered your name, Brian) had told me that, with the PRT's, you must divide 229.18316 by 2 and multiply by 4 for the new control box and 2 for the old control box. Well, that didn't work - for me - but that is because there is something wrong with the motor. So, I thought that 229,18316 is pretty close to my original PR number of 199.855 - so I multiplied it by two. I put a mark on the wall using a laser level and turned the indexer 100 times and the mark was at the same spot. Problem solved. I also remember Grant or Gordon telling me that the magic number was 400, so there is more validation for the oddball number that I use. I don't really know what is wrong with the indexer motor, but it seems to be stable enough.

Now, that is just for carving 3D items on the indexer. If you want to carve a column with 2.5D items ON it, and all the rest of the design is symmetrical, you must make one rotation of the indexer equal the circumference of the column carved. Use this formula:

Diameter X (PI) = Circumference (Compliments of Brian)

You can also go to the following web page and just type it in:

http://www.athropolis.com/popup/c-circ2.htm

Works for me...

It just goes to show that you can, in reality, knock a few bits loose by banging something (my head in this example). In the Navy, we call this "the application of Manual Instruction".

Thanks again,

Chip