View Full Version : Welding Shopbot Table

jimmythethief
07-30-2003, 02:07 PM
I have been reading some of the older posts about flexing of the shop bots axis...I was wondering if anyone has decided to weld any supports so as to beef up the parts that are flexing...would this bring the +/- .015" spec lower? If the bot has a positional accuracy of .005" the rest of the slop must come from flexing? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the factory spec without heavy mods? What do you guys usually find as far as the +/- %? I was thinking last night, that if most of the time I'm going to be cutting sheet goods of around 3/4" then would I gain some accuracy by building the table up under the gantry so the Z axis is lowered as little as possible? For the most part I'm sure the bot will be accurate enough for me as mostly everything I plan on doing for now will done in wood...just looking for some ideas before I get going full steam. Is +/-.015" worst case? So what the average be...

Erik

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Eric,

Most of those post were written when the ShopBot was an assembled "kit" of Unistrut and Patio door rollers. Today's bot is a LOT different.

Ron

gerald_d
07-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Erik, how do you plan to measure a difference of 0.015"? We generally don't speak about it because our standard old tape measures are not detecting any inaccuracies.

jimmythethief
07-30-2003, 03:40 PM
The more I read your posts the more I like you Gerald...I CAN'T thats the real answer! I guess I'm just thinking too much...I was talking to a guy yesterday and he sets up CNC metal working equiptment...when I told him .015" he started ho-humming, like .015", how barbaric or something and got me on an accuracy trip for the last day or so...I guess I'm just getting more and more nervous the closer the day of delivery comes...I suppose I have built the shopbot up in my mind, and that it will be able to do all these great things and improve my ablility to produce much higher quality and more complex designs...I just hope I am not expecting too much.

Erik