PDA

View Full Version : Feedback

cartar929
03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey I'm just looking to get some feedback on this sign, so post your thoughts, comments, and concerns.

cartar929
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
sorry it's kinda small if you click on it, then it will get bigger

joewino
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
What are you asking? Layout, color, or what?

gc3
03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Looks great, did you make it?

Gene

cartar929
03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah I made this sign. I am just looking to get some general feedback about it, because we have a client that wants something similar. I just wanted to hear some other people's perspectives so that I could make the ones in the future better. I am just looking for other ideas on what people would change about it.

rej
03-11-2010, 11:06 AM
What are the materials you used?
Please give details as to the painting process you used thanks

cabnet636
03-11-2010, 01:15 PM
whoever made that sign has signmaking experience, so my feed back with out any other knowledge is

it looks great!!

jim

signtist
03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
With my 32 years experiance, that sign is perfect!!!

John www.signgraphics1.com (http://www.signgraphics1.com)

joe
03-12-2010, 07:23 AM
I'd like to see a little more of your sign. The snow around the sides makes it difficult. I'm guessing it's double sided on some kind of board like like MDO.

I think there's an attractive iron frame setting on a single post. It's hard to tell if there's carving or applications of some kind on a panel. The design is attractive as a Logo but doesn't tell us much about the business. That's OK however since Logo's can be that way.

Why not show us what you have?

cartar929
03-12-2010, 07:59 AM
hey joe, i'm not sure if you did this or not but if you click on the thumbnail you can get a better view of the image. this is the best picture that i currently have of the sign, and i know i need better but for right now i'm just working with what i am given.

the sign is cnc routed from 18lb density hdu, and is attached to a steel frame, the cap for the post is also routed from hdu, the steel scroll work is from king architectural metals, and is painted using a dtm paint from sherwin williams, the cream color on the sign is a mix of modern masters true gold and a cream color that i had at the shop

attached should be a bigger image of the picture

cartar929
03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
this sign was for a small neighborhood

dubliner
03-12-2010, 09:21 AM
That looks fabulous, how did you paint behind the tree, or did you carve the tree and apply to a black background(my guess) the branches are so light, thats is awesome work, you dont need our opinion, you should be giving us lessons - Dubliner

joe
03-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Greetings Neville,

I agree this is an exceptional sign and I have some of the same questions. Although the process may seem simple to you, many of us struggle understanding the materials and techniques used.

I enjoy detailed explainations, accompanied with photo's. There used to be was a veil of secreacy about all the materials and processes. Old sign artists wouldn't share their secrets. Then back in the early 80's along came the Letterheads. A group of creative sign artists do dedicated to preservation and sharing forgotten techniques. That movement, came out of Denver, Colorado and has moved around the world. I encourage everyone who has helpful techniques to share them with all of us. That way we all get better.

cartar929
03-15-2010, 02:37 PM
The tree was not attached it was carved on the same piece of the HDU that circle going around it is on. The lettering banner was attached separately.

The tree was bevel cut using a 120 degree V-bit, then before painting I took some sandpaper to the tree to help smooth it out some. Then I painted my layers working from the background to the foreground.

So, light green was painted first, then I used application tape (that you would normally put on regular cut viny)l and cut a mask to cover the light green. Then I sprayed the unmasked area the really dark green, and hand painted the letters white and the border and trees using a custom mix of modern masters true gold and a cream color.

I'm not really into keeping secrets I have been making signs for less than 5 years, and having been running a router for less than 2. So, I am not really trying to keep anything from anyone I work at a really small shop where critical and valid input is fairly limited so I thought I would branch out to see what others had to say, so that I could improve future products by getting a broader perspective.

tappsman
03-16-2010, 02:18 PM
I am unable to enlarge images by clicking on the thumbnail image. Any suggestions?

cartar929
03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
try right clicking on it and then selecting the option "open link in a new tab" or "open link in a new window"

joewino
03-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, I wouldn't change anything. The colors are excellent, the layout is attractive and easily read. Very professional. Show us more of your stuff.

cowboy1296
05-22-2011, 07:26 PM
well first off the name is perfect. : )

dakers
05-23-2011, 07:41 AM
it has a better overall look than i would have come up with.
the only thing i would have changed is the letter kerning but not much.
when i was starting to hand letter back in 1967 they told me to squint my eyes when i look at a line of text and see if the space looks the same between the letters. that seems to have worked then.
this is a well thought out sign, structure, colors.

side note.we have the emerald ash burrower in ohio now , it has destroyed most of the ash trees in michigan. one large ash tree hit our house and we had to move out for 3 months.

marysvillesign
05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
wouldn't change a thing, great work.