PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot Roller Coaster Body

royman777
03-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I am new to this Forum and I'm not sure if I'm even posting this correctly, but I wanted to share some photos of a project I just finished recently on my ShopBot. I was able to carve the finished surface of a new rollercoaster body thats going to China from Logan, Utah 84341.
I carved the master tool out of MDF to use as a plug to make Fiberglass molds.
Here are some photos if you would like to see them.

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/BearMountainWoodCarving/Tooling%20Photos%202009%20S-S%20Power%20China%20Coaster/

Thanks in Advance...
Roy Jones

knight_toolworks
03-12-2010, 03:11 PM
that's way cool.

wberminio
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
That's really incredible.

Nice work!

bill.young
03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey Roy,

That's very neat ...thanks for posting.

(I think a smile crosses all our faces these days when we hear of something being shipped from Utah to China and not the other way around :) )

Bill

billp
03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Roy,
You can be SURE that I'll ask you to do a little rundown of your technique(s) at the Magna Camp tomorrow, great work !

royman777
03-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the compliments men. The Coaster project was a good challenge for me. I started with a 3D Model from the customer from there I was able to slice it, into multiple smaller models / components of the whole body. I had to re-define the x,y,z, coordinants for each smaller models then I then saved the smaller models as iges files. I was then able to import them into Cam program to set the tool paths. I also had to lower the Steel frame of the ShopBot Table 1.75in to allow for thicker materials. I was able to push the z axis on my machine to cut 4.75in depths consistenly using .5in dia 6in long ball end & square end mills. I'm am looking forward to the Magna Camp Tomarrow I won't be able to stay the whole day but I'm excited to be there as much as possible.

ironsides
03-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Roy,
I am blown away by your Roller Coaster Body project and the images. I am looking forward to meeting you at the Magna, UT Camp.

I am sold on the Photo V-Carve software project/images also.

George

sailfl
03-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Roy,

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

eric_schumacher
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Amazing. Looks like you have some fun projects. I'm curious to know what products you use to seal the MDF after you machine them to create a smooth surface on the plug. I can see in the shots you use some bondo or other filler, but are you spaying the parts with something to seal them?