PDA

View Full Version : Really Strong Glue or Resin

cartar929
03-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I had this project for a small church and it is a double faced sign, and one of the faces fell off.

I originally had the sign glued with tight lock caulk and had it clamped together for a good while. But, it looks like the glue froze before it could have cured correctly.

I originally only used glue because I didn't want to run screws through the faces, but it turns out that is what I had ended up having to do anyways. So, I wanted to get some input about what other people might be using to to get a good bond in between there substrates.

I have a picture of the sign posted below. I used 2" thick 18lb hdu, and used a 90 degree bit to sink the letters into the sign, because they wanted their sign to look like slate, and that also explains the color choice.

Well anyways, if someone has a good product to share I would like to hear about it.

Thanks

gene
03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
If you have time for it to cure try clear silicone

bleeth
03-16-2010, 07:32 PM
I would use epoxy. The problem with Liquid Nails and similar caulk construction adhesives is it doesn't really penetrate since it is so thick. There is an epoxy gel mix that comes from various companies (I have used Resco) and once it sets there is no way they are ever coming apart.

joe
03-16-2010, 09:08 PM
She's a beauty. I like everything about it except the falling apart news.

I have a question or two about the materials used. Your HDU was glued to what kind of materials? Was it glued to other pieces of HDU? I guess this was fabricated in your shop with moderate temps?

While Gorilla glue is excellent for HUD to HDU it's a poor choice with most other combinations. Like Dave R. says epoxy is a good option. It can be thickened up, to a paste, by adding dust from the beltsander. I've made it up thick enough for vertical application. DON'T starve the joint. Not too much clamp pressure. Be sure to clean up joints prior to drying. E6000 is excellent for HDU to aluminum.

Joe Crumley

cartar929
03-17-2010, 09:24 AM
The hdu was attached back to back so that it would make a double faced sign. I've found a company called "Lord Adhesives" in an N.Glantz and Son catalog has anyone used this company?

cartar929
03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
can you buy "Resco" direct or do you have to go through a supplier?

blackhawk
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Coastal Enterprises sells adhesives for the HDU that they manufacture. I haven't used their adhesive products yet, but it is just another thing that you might could try. Coastal is pretty good about sending samples of their products.

Here is a link: http://www.precisionboard.com/Marketing/sign/007sign.aspx

joewino
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Lords is an excellent adhesive - just be sure to follow the directions. It's a bit pricely but very good. It will stick to just about anything.

We use West System epoxy for most of our HDU work. It is strong and sets up quickly. It can be thickened with their powder or you could use sawdust like Crumley suggested.

Gorilla Glue expands when activated by water so the foaming process will sometimes make the parts shift. There is also the problem of cleaning up the part that foams out. I just have never liked using it.

Coastal Enterprises has a one part and a two part adhesive. They also provide very good technical support. Just go online or give them a call. Kellie Miller will answer any questions you have.

Good luck.

bleeth
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
I always got it through a distributor. I would have no qualms at all about using West as Dr. Joe and Ray suggest (I've gone through many gallons of tha stuff also) and thickening it up. West sells a variety of thickeners if you dont have wood sawdust around . The cotton fiber ones, like wood fibers, gives great strength in bond. The microballoons are usually used for other purposes as it sands extremely easily when they are used.

joe
03-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I think of adhesives as Air Dry and Non-air dependent. The later is known as Catalyzed.

When putting large panels together Silicones, Calks, Tite Bond, and most wood glue's need air transfer. They're a poor choice. Catalyzed glue like epoxy will set up without oxygen.

When applying Gorilla Glue to HDU, it's best to use very little. It should be squeege'd on so thin that it only changes the color of the HDU. Once misted with water it goes into action. Give it a try. I use GG on HDU only. It's a poor choice for most anything else. It's A very week adhesive for wood compared to anything else.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

cartar929
03-17-2010, 07:37 PM
thanks for the responses it sounds like there are a lot of good options. i've had some not so hot experiences with the gorilla glue in the past, as far as the amount it foams, but i've also never used it with hdu. but i think i'll give it a try for something smaller i have coming up, to test it out some. i've never had any experience with the epoxies mentioned and appreciate the input. it should be very helpful when chosing one for when a new project comes around.

robredick
03-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I would use epoxy. The problem with Liquid Nails and similar caulk construction adhesives is it doesn't really penetrate since it is so thick. There is an epoxy gel mix that comes from various companies (I have used Resco) and once it sets there is no way they are ever coming apart.
GE silicone #1 is the best choice. It stays soft enough that it will not pull apart with changing conditions. Tube based adhesives like Liquid Nails get hard and crumble. We have had fantastic luck with the Titebond HiPur Heat glue gun. I recommend the 75 of 300. However, Silicone is tried and true.

joe
03-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Rod,

Like you I'm fond of Silicone 1 but as I've posted earlier, it will not work on large panels. The reason being, it can't dry in the center area of large pieces.

Since HDU is dimensionally stable and doesn't expand or contract there is little need to worry about that factor.

I suggest testing!

robredick
03-21-2010, 05:32 PM
If you apply it in lines you have trouble. We use the silver dollar approach. Which is, globs the size of a silver dollar in a grid pattern. My big disclaimer is that we generally work indoors above 6' and there is very little humidity due to refrigeration exhaust. Mostly we are attaching several different materials together and we use the 2 fastener rule. A good 23 gauge nailer is priceless...