PDA

View Full Version : Canucks camp Eh!! in Ottawa Canada

daski
03-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Well it's on!! Just out side the nation's capital, Ottawa, on June 5. Timmy's(coffee) starting at 8 am. Puck drops at nine and last call should be around 5 pm. Za for lunch. Everyone can stay for BBQ supper, just need #'s so SWMBO can get the fixin's.

To get to the best Canadian shopbot camp this year, get your dogsled out onto the 417 between Ottawa and Montreal. Get off at exit 88, about 20 mins east of Ottawa, about 1000 ft south turn right at the gas station/hotel, Burton Rd. Keep sledding for 2 miles and turn right on Eadie Rd. Our Igloo is #219 Eadie Rd, Russell Ontario for those of you who use those GPS gizmos. If you get lost or want to chat I'm at 613-445-1408.

Please email me ASAP with confirmation, area of expertise, and #'s so we can plan.
dskinner(funny squiggle)WeDoClosets.ca

paco
03-27-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm thinking of going... nothing official at this point... I'll try to confirm as soon as I can...

boubou
03-28-2010, 08:33 AM
What date are you guys shooting for. Do you have a scedule layed out for the event. Boubou

billp
03-28-2010, 08:50 AM
" Just out side the nation's capital, Ottawa, on June 5."
The days schedule is usually decided by those who attend which means we'll try to cover as much ground as we can during the day. For those who plan to attend please drop us a note with your particular interest(s) so we can try to accommodate you...!

paco
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
An advanced tips and tricks with Aspire would be cool. There's always something new to learn... or to teach...

Maybe a custom JIGs demonstration for production purposes.

Silly question but, will there be a Bot available on place?

billp
03-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Paco,
Yes, Dave has a machine in his shop. I believe he's been using it (and the E Cabs "link") to build furniture, etc. When he gets back into this thread he can describe the model, etc.
As far as the Aspire stuff, I'll see what I can come up with since we'll be seeing Brian/Tony at least twice this Spring before the Canadian Camp ( they'll be at the Jamboree, and the San Mateo Maker Faire...).

supertigre
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Count me and my wife in.

billp
03-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Guy,
Thanks for the RSVP. I'll add both of you to the list tonight...
It will really help Dave and I if everyone drops one of us a note, ( or just posts on here) that you plan to attend, so we can get properly prepared...Thanks!

bill_lumley
04-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I'll be there. I don't think Dave uses 'the
link' but I do and my shop is about 30 minutes away if someone
wants a demo . I can certainly talk about it at the camp .

Bill

mikeb
04-15-2010, 05:14 PM
My son and I are planning to attend, coming from Hamilton. As a newbe any info will be great!

Mike Berryman

daski
04-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Well we've got some replies, but I know that there are more of you out there. Getting Bill accross the border is going to be worth it, so let us know if you're coming.

My shop has a PRT 4896 2003 vintage. We cut melamine cabinet parts and closet components. We have a dual Fein hold down sysytem. If it needs to get cut out of a 4x8 we are the guys.

We will be fortunate to have some very clever sign guys from nearby in attendance as well as some owners of new machines.

I am very confident that the knowledge level wll be impressive and everyone will be able to learn alot and share all kinds of good stuff.

Bring you knowledge, questions,show and tell items,and enthusiasm. This will be the best camp in Canada this year!!!!

:cool:

gerryv
04-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Dave,

I confirmed back a few months ago for myself and my son but just to be sure, please keep us on the list. Thanks much.

Gerry Vowles, Belleville, ON
Steve Vowles, Belleville, ON

GlenP
04-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Hey Guys. Man I want to be at this camp but we are camping (RV) that weekend. Dave, is this a one day camp? If so we are camping close to home and perhaps I can still attend and return back to the campground Saturday evening.:D That is if we get our trailer back from the dealer....it is out for warranty repair as the frame is sagging. Don't ask me how they can fix it and they are sure screwing around with getting it fixed or ???? Anyway if I can make this work I will be there. If I end up coming alone perhaps someone wants to share the ride. I will probably be getting on the 401 at Brighton. DO you need to bring laptops for any software stuff or no?

Also I sandblast etch on glass mugs and would be more than happy to make up some mugs or beer glasses with the shopbot logo and Canadian camp on them. Even if I don't end up coming I can send them with Gerald. I would only ask for the cost of the mug which would be less than $3. I think we should definitely have one for Bill for coming up. Anyone interested?

rb99
04-23-2010, 01:32 AM
I will be there as well.

It is just one day?

RIB

billp
04-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Yes, this version will be a one day event. While we're all there we can discuss future Camps...

billp
05-03-2010, 12:20 PM
We are about a month out from the Camp, so it's time for me to start begging for responses if you plan to attend. I have a bunch of names from this thread, as well as a few other people who have contacted me off line. If you have not contacted either Dave or myself already, please do so as soon as your plans are firm. We'll post updates here on this thread. Thanks !

billp
05-10-2010, 03:16 PM
As of today I have roughly 14 names of people who have contacted me directly, or posted their RSVP here on the forum.
I've had a few suggestions of topics to be covered, and we'll try to address just about everything, but please be aware of the fact that a Camp is not meant to serve as a replacement for tech support, OR a place to have 13 people listening while one Camper wants their individual progress monitored.....
We'll be getting into some of the more universal topics regarding applications, software, some techniques, and materials. We have invited James Booth but there is currently a conflict in his schedule which may not make this possible.
One of the main goals of a Camp is to put "local" Shopbotters in touch with others in the area so they can network, assist, share, etc. during those long stretches of time between Camps ( looking back now the last Canadian Camp was in 2003 although Dale hedged his bet by printing out T shirts that had the year "2004" on them to get some added mileage...).
If you can not bring something with you for Show and Tell, bring pictures of it. We will have a projector there so just bring some shots on a thumb drive ( and please keep the presentation focused on the specific job depicted...http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif).
Dave could you please post some hotel info for those traveling from outside the area? Thanks...!

mikeb
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Just to let you know , my son {Mike} and myself will be there. info on hotel, motel would be good as well. Looking forward to a great learning experience as well as meeting fellow woodworkers!
Mike

gerryv
05-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Bill, how about (a) strategies, aids and best practices to maximize smoothness of arcs and curves when cutting or shaping a variety of materials (b) tips and techniques for getting sharp vs. rounted corners and/or serifs.

bill_lumley
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Hotels - just trying to help ...

Dave is located outside Russell east of Ottawa at the following address

219 Eadie Road,
Russell,
ON K4R 1E5
Canada

Here is a B&B in Russell
http://www.bbcanada.com/1428.html (http://www.bbcanada.com/1428.html)

If they are full they can suggest others that may not be on the internet .

Another option is to stay in Ottawa and on the east side near St. Laurent Blvd and 417 there are a few hotels . Woodworkers may want to check out Lee Valley Tools main store is located at the Greenbank exit to 417 . Busy Bee Tools and Princess Auto are located across the street from each other on the east side of Ottawa also.

See you all at Dave's Camp , Bill

billp
05-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Bill,
Thanks for that info. I just spoke with Dave and he will try to post a list of likely places to stay shortly. I called one or two places but got no answer, and I'm wondering if I didn't inadvertently pick some seasonal hotels.
Still looking at probably 15-20 Campers planning to attend, but there's room for a few more IF we hear before the actual Camp date....
I will be on the road the two weeks leading up to the Camp, so if people have specific questions, etc. they can still reach me via e-mail, but I may have intermittent cell/web service from the 24th to June 2nd.....
Does anyone have contact info on Dale Kerr these days?

billp
05-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I think Bill L's suggestion may be the smart move. I just booked a room at the Hampton Inn which is between Dave's shop, and Lee Valley tools...Much closer to Lee Valley tools actually, I hope my credit card can take the heat....

John Jackson
05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Please add my name to the list!

John Jackson

domino11
05-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Bill, Could you add Heath Crump and James Crump from Cornwall, Ontario as well as Greg Brady from Smiths Falls, Ontario to the list to attend please. See you at the camp.

Heath.

daski
05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Well it looks like there's going to be a lot of people coming to the BEST camp shopbot in Canada this year. There is a hotel 1 mile from our place, nothing fancy, but close, KC's 613-443-3983. $90 a night. There are a bunch in the east end of Ottawa, about 25 minutes away. If you need help call me 613-445-1408.

daski
05-27-2010, 05:02 PM
For those of you that feel so inclined we will be have a very informal evening on the 4 of June. Bring a chair, something to drink and throw on the BBQ if you want. We will probably be talking shop. Please email me dskinner at WeDoClosets dat ca to give me an idea who's coming.

GlenP
05-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Man I wish I could come but no chance. :(:(Make sure you take lots of pics to post for us that can't make it. :)

billp
05-28-2010, 03:07 PM
We are closing in on the Camp date, so we'll try to get a ""suspected final count" by the middle of next week. I am pretty much going to be off grid for another few days, so I won't be able to respond to posts readily until after the holiday weekend...

gerryv
05-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Dave, I may have missed it but do you have a map posted or, better yet, a tested Google Maps or Mapquest address? Thanks much, Gerry

changrudy
05-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi there,

Me and buddy, Eddie, will be attending. I posted on one of the earlier threads on this event.

Rudy Chang
Standard Buddy 32

billp
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Rudy,
I'm pretty sure I already have you on the list, but just to be sure, I'll
"reconfirm" you when I get back East on Wednesday...

wberminio
05-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey u guys!

Sorry I can't make it up North-But I'm sure you'll have a great camp.

Erminio

daski
05-31-2010, 09:41 PM
219 Eadie Rd, Russell, On

This will get you to the front yard.

billp
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
At the moment I have the names of approximately 20 people who have indicated that they plan to be at the Camp.
We'll get underway around 8AM with some coffee/etc.
I'm hoping to see some Show and Tell work, so if this is your first Camp, it might be a good idea to bring a camera. If you have something you'd like to show us, but it's impractical to bring it with you, pictures are OK as well...And it's never a bad idea to bring a flash/thumb drive along as sometimes people have information, etc. you might want to bring home with you.
I'll stop by the shop Friday mid day to be sure I know where it is, and then I plan to help Canada's economy by visiting Lee Valley tools .....
If you have not yet contacted Dave or myself this would be the right time to do so...

daski
06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Well Bill we are all looking forward to having you come and share with us. For some reason you seem to be the only American coming. If anyone knows of people in New York or Vermont that would be interested give them a shout please.

I have internet connection in the shop as well as a laptop with Powerpoint if people need to use it.

Like Bill has mentioned we should be about 20 but if you can let us know that would be great. We will allow last minute walk-ins because the more the merrier.

Feel free to drop in on Friday night for chit chat and a frosty.

Safe travels everyone!

daski
06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Take the 417 to Exit 88, about 20 mins EAST of Ottawa. At the exit go south to the gas staion/hotel complex a couple off hundred feet. Turn right before thew gas station, onto Burton Rd. travel for 2 miles then turn LEFT on Eadie Rd. We are the fourth house on the left. Park on the west side of the road behind the other cars.

Kick off at 8 with coffee.

paul12617
06-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Dave,
Just a quick note to say Thanks to you and Bill P. for the camp yesterday, very informative. I think these camps are an important part of the Shopbot support systems, for me anyway it provide the opportunity to see how other are using their Bots, and provides me with some more uh huh's
Thanks again

Also Thanks to Bill for the round tuit

GlenP
06-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Well guys hope the camp was a success. I just got home from camping and wish I could have been there. Anyone got pics to post? Love to see some faces to put to names.

gerryv
06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks much for putting this together Dave, a job very well done. That's quite the facility you've setup. Thanks also to Bill Palumbo for sharing his knowledge, insights and wisdom. Steve and I both came away very happy we'd made it.

Being that Steve will be using our Shopbot for his business, and therefore depending on it, I felt it was very valuable to also hear about the various concerns expressed by a number of participants, especially with regard to software fixes not seeming to be addressed as well as the ongoing phantom comm. issues. Maybe we'll look into upgrading our wiring harnesses and boxes for improved shielding as a preventive measure and see what happens before moving up to a new machine. Thanks guys for your openness.

All in all, a very valuable session in so many ways including the opportunity to meet and hear from so many other 'botters.

I missed adding my name to the users group sheet so if anyone has any suggestions on how to get on it, please let me know.

billp
06-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Gerald,
I will add your name to the list, and then send everyone on the list a copy of the names so you can start to communicate with one another about getting together occasionally. If anyone else in that area would like to be contacted for such a gathering, please e-mail me, and I will include you as well.
Glen,
I'm in the process of editing the pix right now, give me an hour or so and I'll post them, and the blog...
Bill Price,
I didn't see your gift of "Tuits" for ALL the Campers until after you had left, thank you !
Dave,
MANY thank you's to you and your family for the great hospitality.....

billp
06-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Here are the pix- http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/
And here is the Camp blog- http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/2010/06/2010-camp-canuck.html

wrp
06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Bill, just a quick note to say that you did an excellent job facilitating the camp, you seem to have an endless supply of stories and examples for every area of interest
Regards Bill Price

changrudy
06-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks Bill,

And it was nice meeting everyone! I learned quite a bit from this meeting. To be honest, the last few months has been discouraging and this meeting was the perfect motivational tool to get me going again.

Looking forward to any future meetings,

Rudy

rb99
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the help and info at the Ottawa meet.

I am wondering if someone can help me... there was a sample plastic material that was 2 colours sandwiched together that could be used for engraving signs. Could someone tell me what that material was, and if and where it is available in Canada?

If you have bought it recently and know the price that would be great as well!

Cheers,

RIB

billp
06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Richard,
I've sent you the info I have regarding Color Core in a rely to your PM.

supertigre
06-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Dave;

Thank you for hosting such a great camp.

Bill;

Thanks for providing so much useful information.