PDA

View Full Version : Need Direction

powerlsc
03-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I need some major input on a sign I have been asked to make. I have only done signs on posts and small hanging signs so far ...I'm experience challenged but learning each day.

The letters are logotype (REMAX real estate) and the only quotes I could get were for plastic (like Gemini) and the client does NOT want plastic. The downtown area is historical and does NOT want anything commercial looking.

I've decided to do this in HDU on my Shopbot Buddy. Cut the parts out and give the letters a matte finish. I've also suggested to client that the background (stucco wall) be painted a tan color which is OK with city and will tone down the bright red, white and blue letters.

The letters have to be 1 inch away from the wall so I need a source or an idea for spacers. Adhesive is out because client wants to remove sign and take it when they move to a new location. The stucco was sprayed over hardware cloth or at least that's all I saw when I climbed up patched holes from the previous sign.

What thickness and density HDU or Duna would you recommend and what should I back it with for strength? Keep in mind I'm new at any material besides HDU!

Space inside stucco edge seen in pic is 20" by 18' . Would you recommend 16" or 17" letters? I have a problem with the decender in the lower case "g" and will have to lift "Advantage up a little". I'm afraid that word will look like it is floating but can't figure out what else to do.

By the way, the REMAX logo balloon will not be included since they will have a 4' one in their window.

Any suggestions would be helpful. My first sign in a small downtown area and don't want to blow it!

I have a picture but it is too large to post here. Am posting my questions while I try to figure out how to compress this photo.

signtist
03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Glue 1" thick blocks onto the back of the letters with studs in them.
Make a pattern and drill holes. Use silicone on the studs and simply push onto holes. You can cut the letters out of the same 1" thick material or use Diebond. (much cheaper)
A picture would help us.
I would get creative and use HDU and wire brush a woodgrain texture to the letters! John
www.signgraphics1.com (http://www.signgraphics1.com)

GlenP
03-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Email me your pic. I will try to help the best I can. What software do you have to design in. (aspire, artcam etc) I agree I would get creative and show the customer some design options. Maybe they have to stick as close to the company logo, colours as possible. I did some cutting for another sign guy which we did some nice letters and he wire brushed the background to make it look like barn board. My email is glenp1@sympatico.ca. Depends on your budget of course as well.:)

powerlsc
03-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Glen,

I have tried several times to email you pictures with the address above but my mail bounces back.

Am still trying to post two pictures on this site but can't get them reduced.

carve_1
03-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Lyn

I Google "free jpeg resizing" , and use one to change the size,,, I have had to reduce them several times before they fit on this forum.

I use Dropbox, which is free to join, when I need to send large files to clients.

Charles

dvmike
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
You can also resize in paint.
I too have used this remedial method !:D

powerlsc
03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZyNm2xT5hxjirjeTsclISg?feat=directlink

This is the building. Sign area 18' x 20". Will read REMAX Advantage . REMAX is red logotype w/ blue slash. Advantage is brush or commercial script in blue.

Thanks for the resizing hints. I only have Aspire to work in, don't have Paint.

Used Picassa to do link above and will try others to see how they work. Thanks!

powerlsc
04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Joe resized this one for me so I could post it! Magic! Thanks, Mr. Crumley.

So, again, balloon has been dropped from design. Greg suggested adding a background so the sign would all be on on piece and could easily be moved.

Has anyone used fasteners to mount letters from www.htm-system.com ? It's a quick snap fastening system I saw advertised in Signcraft magazine? Other suppliers?

I'm thinking of painting the back wall a medium tan color and then the textured background a few shades lighter to tone done the intensity of the REMAX blue and red. Think that will work? Trying to use more town approved historical colors.

I know Porter paints are highly recommended (especially by Raymond Chapmand) but the nearest distributor to me is 1 1/2 hrs east or west of me. I have Lowe's, Home Depot and Sherwin Williams nearby that I can run to for cusom colors.

Any strong prefences by anyone? I'm switching to latex as opposed to the One Shot oil enamels that I previously used up north.

Thanks for suggestions.