View Full Version : Build your own indexer for under $200.00

arnold
04-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Before I start going into the details , for those who would like to do CNC with an indexer but don't have the time or inclination to build one there is a great unit for sale by MAXNC (maxnc.com( accessories) for $511.50 plus shipping..This is the model I copied to create my own. First a list of the major components:
4in. rotary table-Grizzly Model H5940 ................................$155.95+shipping
Stepper motor Vexta PK266-02A interinar@att.net ..............$30.99 (includes shipping)
(also found on Ebay)
If you don't like my homemade tail stock Maxnc has a steel one fir $49.95+shipping.
There isn't much to explain how it goes together- the pictures say it all. The coupling between the stepper and rotary table should be accurately bored. The one in the picture was my 3rd attempt and finally done on a metal lathe. Even there I have tiny wiggle from eccentricity but my hoedown is very accommodating. Don't get panicky over the small size stepper. There is a 72/1 ration between the stepper and the table creating lots of torque.
The tail stock is an original. Using the shelf brackets was because I owned them. It works fine and gives me lots of adjustment. The screw in the tail stock is also a 1/2 threaded rod already in the shop. Grind a 90deg point and then use your 90deg router bit to indent the stock. It's very important to make sure the screw point is at the exact height as the ctr of the rotary table.
The picture of the disk shows a way of connecting stock to the rotary. The 4 bolts are 3/8 and the threaded part just fits the slots on the rotary. By putting them carefully on a circle and 90deg apart you have a great attachment system for the headstock. If you look carefully you will see one of my bolts needed trimming due to poor fit.

kubotaman
04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Arnold could you have also used the tailstock that Grizzly has here to make things a little easier? I am in the market for an indexer so I am just wondering.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Adj-Tailstock-For-8-10-Rotary-Tables/G9296

knight_toolworks
04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I jus sold one of those tables. well I had the 6" but does the little guy have oil? I know mine leaked the oil one when it was on edge.
also the 6" did have some play in it.

arnold
04-06-2010, 09:13 AM
To answer the couple of questions posted-
Deryl-Yes the Grizzly tail stock would work just as well. Also note they have accessories someone might like- ex 3 jaw chuck; 4 jaw chuck
Steve-The manufacturer provided no oil port-I presume the worm gear is packed with some Permanent(?) grease.The slop in the table is about 20-30minutes which would be about 0.01 inch on 3inch stock. Most of my woodworking is not up to that standard.

steve_g
04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Arnold

What driver did you mate up with the PK266-02A motor?

Steve

blackhawk
05-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Arnold - How is your indexer doing? I like how you set this up. As Steve asked, what is the driver model number that you are using to drive the motor?

geometree
05-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Here is how we made an indexer where I work. Its an "Indexing Head" from Enco, and came with the tail stock. We looked at the rotary tables but chose this one because it was 40:1 geared vs. 72:1 or 90:1. Should be able to rotate faster than the grizzly. It has a morse taper center hole which can take a standard wood lathe drive center. The motor adapter was made by a machinist down the road. All together probably came in under $500.

blackhawk
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Shawn - I like that. Is the Enco model that you bought the one below?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=953522&PMAKA=203-4000

What motor and drive did you use?

Also, how does the lathe center lock into the indexer? Does it have threads or do you use a bolt through the back to hold it in place?

geometree
05-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Yes that is the indexing head we used. The lathe center we used fit the mt2 tapered hole in the center of the head, its just a long taper and a friction fit. This indexer also has a threaded portion which a standard three of four jaw chuck could be mounted to. We used the extra channel on an older PRT machine to drive a motor left over after upgrading the machine to motors with gearboxes. This setup has only been used for the one job it was built for, but it performed flawlessly while making ~ 75 octagonal spindles.

blackhawk
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info Shawn. Does the indexer and tailstock have a keyway running along the bottom to align them?

Also, does the tailstock have an MT#2 taper or is it just a straight bore?

Thanks

arnold
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Sorry to take so long responding but the driver is from Release 2 of Aspire. I don't get to concerned about speed because it's not a commercial usage.
The purpose of building this machine was to give a reasonable priced entry point for anyone interested in trying indexer carving. The first indexer I made was a big heavy machine with timing belts and had a stepper that cost more then the whole second machine.