PDA

View Full Version : problem with nesting.

knight_toolworks
04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
these parts are driving me nuts. I have had problems with parts nesting when the part was not closed or such. but these are fine. they will nest if I chose one or two but start selecting several and I get errors. any idea's?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1939753/nesting%20problem.crv

shoeshine
04-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Steve,

The problem is that as you have them drawn, a lot of the individual parts are too big to be cut out of a 4x8 sheet.

Check the scale of your parts. when I scale the material up to 400x400 inches they nest just fine.

...but durn thats a big thing...:eek: What is it?

Either your scale is off or you need to break the parts down into pieces that can be cut on your machine and then assembled.

Chris

knight_toolworks
04-10-2010, 12:59 AM
everyone fits bit some you can only get one piece on and it needs to be rotated just right. I can take 5 of the pieces and nest each one one at a time but if I choose all 5 I get errors.
before my customer had the parts all finished with the dogbones and homes I got them to nst after some hassle. but this time no way it will not work at all.
ths is a large art piece cut out of hdu foam 18 sheets 2000 worth of foam.

srwtlc
04-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Was just going to say that too. I set the material size to 60 x 120 and most parts fit, but I noticed something strange. Some of the parts would fit with a 11.25º rotation, but the dogbones won't allow it to work. If ungrouped and selected without the dogbones, it fits fine. There's something strange about some of those dogbones. I couldn't even trim some of them to see if trimming off the excess would help. If I moved them so they were just inside the edge of the larger part, then it would work also.

Scott

shoeshine
04-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Hmmn, even when I cut the border gap to 0 and minimal tool size with 1deg of rotation, I still cant get some of the parts to fit on a sheet.

for example the "y" shaped piece on the center left. I cant get that piece to nest even individually.

I'll take your word for it, but you might want to go through and check em.

otherwise I'm at a loss as to why they will nest on a larger sheet but not on a 48x96.

srwtlc
04-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Steve,

By changing the material size to 50" x 96" and manually rotating the offending part (one of them), I can get it to nest with very tight settings and a 0.25 bit. Part rotation degrees has to be low. I set it at 1º. Apparently the part as it is doesn't rotate just right even at 1º to fit. If I take off the dogbones, I have no problem.

I see that your file is a .crv and I have Aspire so I've attached an .eps showing a copy of the offending part and how I rotated it.

knight_toolworks
04-10-2010, 02:34 AM
I will check out out tomorrow. we did a mockup that did not have the dogbonses and it all fit but one peice and he fixed that one.
this job makes me nervous enough with the cot of materials.

srwtlc
04-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Steve, you could also weld the dogbones to the part and it will nest then. I take it that you didn't set up the various layers? I'd ungroup, weld, clean up and move most of it to one layer. There's some weirdness going on with some of those dogbones.

knight_toolworks
04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I did layers and grouped them too.

knight_toolworks
04-11-2010, 03:39 AM
well I used the test file that I used to find out how many sheets I needed. that did not have anything but the shapes. I used it to manually move and place the pieces. it only took about 2 hours :D.
well I got all 18 sheets cut today. filled my dumpster with scrap and have hdu dust everywhere. the sheets have dust on them and dust flies when I remove it from the table. but the stuff sure stays down well on the table.

sailfl
04-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Steve,

Can you share what the final shape you are cutting will be? It looks like it is an artist creation!

knight_toolworks
04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
that's what it is. two big wall pieces. the dogbones are to connect long pieces since some are 20' long. I hope to get some finished pictures when they are done filling sanding and painting it. who knows how long it will take?