PDA

View Full Version : Cut File

propellers
04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I've been volunteered to make a sign for my aviation club. I've owned SB's since the cable drive days and only do 3D with our PRT. Using PartWorks I made the tooling path for the Text portions of the sign but I need to carve in a Log to the bottom of the sign.

I have attached two jpeg files of the Logo but have no idea how to generate vectors to produce a tool path.

The logo will have a width of 3.5", .1"-.2" deep depending on the look. The substrate is hard maple being cut with a .5" V bit 90 degree or whatever will look best. The top of the Logo will be located towards Y positive side.

Any help would certainly be appreciated

rcnewcomb
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Here is a quick and dirty conversion. You may wish to do some node editing to get it to machine better.

All I did was:
open VcarvePro
created a new job
Import the bitmap
selected a color and converted it to a vector
->repeat previous step for additional colors that I wanted
replaced the vectors for the number in the middle with comic sans text
did some node editing to clean up the vectors
toolpathed for V-carving

the vectors are attached in the ZIP file in EPS format

ken_rychlik
04-10-2010, 10:39 AM
You can take the image and do a bit map trace, but the easiest thing to do would be to get the original artist to send you a dxf file if possilble.

Start a blank file and import the picture. Then select it and do the trace to make vecotors. There is a filter you can adjust on how much detail it will save as a vector and you may have to do sections to get the best detail of each section. Then put them all together.

If someone even has a black and white image of the file that would make it easier to trace to vectors. Colors are difficult.

Kenneth

propellers
04-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Randall, I really appreciate the time you spent to help with the file I needed to finish the project I was volunteered for. The file ran without any issues and looks great, I will try the same process for our company logo soon. I hope I can return the favor one of these days.

Lonnie Prince

propellers
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Kenneth, Thank you for the suggestions, I will give this a try, sounds easy once one has experience but a new process sometimes is difficult to get my tired brain to accept. Thanks again.

Lonnie Prince