PDA

View Full Version : Nesting glich.

gundog
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I cut dovetail paths into a rectangular piece of material for my table tops on my fillet rigging tables. The dovetail bits don't plung so I create a circle at the end node for the line vector and I make the circle big enough so it overlaps the table top. I later run a drilling path in the circle so the dovetail bit can drop in the hole. For some reason when I nest these parts it never allows space for the circle it copies them but does not allow for the circle and I have to move evrything manually to fix it. I group all the parts together before nesting and it nests the vectors fine except those circles it copies them but does not leave space enough between parts. Why doesn't it recognise the circles?

tmerrill
04-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Michael,

Can you possibly post some screen captures showing before and after the nest?

Tim

gundog
04-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Here is a sample this is what happens.

gundog
04-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Here they are as JPG I drew them in Partworks and saved as DXF files but I converted them in Turbo Cad so I could save them in other formats to post the pictures.

gundog
04-10-2010, 11:19 PM
The circles at the end of the line vectors are made bigger than the actual drilled hole because if they don't overlap the rectangle they won't stay together when you nest them the circle is drawn .400" the actual drilling path uses a .375 mill and does not cut into the rectangle when drilled. The dovetail path is a polly line that starts and ends on the same node location at the center of the circle.

srwtlc
04-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Michael,

That's the second strange nesting glitch in the last two days. :confused: Steve has a good one too!

I've tried this every way I can think of and as far as I can tell, it must be some kind of tolerance issue or something else that I can't see. I think the vectric team should maybe take a look at it.

As a work around, I made a larger circle around yours and aligned it to the bottom (see attached). Then it would nest properly. The circle had to be at least 1.0625" diameter to work though. :confused: It would also work if I welded them to the radiused rectangle, but that would change your profile cut.

Scott

knight_toolworks
04-11-2010, 03:35 AM
I wonder if you make a offset around the piece nest it then delete the offset?

tmerrill
04-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Michael,

I agree with Scott and you should send an email to support AT vectric DOT com to let them take a look at it.

One piece of information that would be of interest are your settings in the nesting tool, specifically tool diameter and clearance.

I was able to slightly increase the clearance amount and get the results shown, but not sure if that is a solution or work around. I set tool diameter to 0.25 and clearance to 0.25.

Tim

gundog
04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks you guys have some good work arounds. The bit I cut with for the outside profile is .250" and I spec a .251" - .260" spacing between parts. I am thinking of just doing a welded vector for nesting layed on top and then just deleting it after nesting like was suggested.

When I nest these parts there are other parts also that I did not show and they all work fine but they don't have these type dovetail tool paths all my tables in different sizes do this same thing and I have to move them by hand. It is still faster than when I used to have to nest them all from scratch.

Mike