PDA

View Full Version : My first cut

PMK Digital Imaging
04-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi all,

I'm probably the newest Shopbot'er here. I got my shopbot last Wed and cut this Friday.

My faith in American Manufacturing has been restored with the Shopbot Company. Everything has been "first class", from start ....until I received my S'bot.

This was my first attempt with Aspire and copied an example to cut.

I was a bit self indulgent in that the Saints may not win it again for another 40 years :)

Not be best piece of Walnut, but all I had at the time. Good wood seems to be getting harder to find.

I love SHOPBOT!!!!!!!!!!

PK

penman
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi Paul,

if that is your first try I can't imagine what your 10th will be like. Very,very impressive. The Vectric software is extremely good and combined with a Shopbot===== well. Certainly wayyyy better than my first.

What is wrong with the walnut?

Regards,

Roger.

dlcw
04-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the circus Paul! :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your new toy. Like Roger said, if that's your first try, you are going to be the go-to guy when it comes to Vectric software and doing cool projects. :D

jsooter
04-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Great Job! I am glad it isnt required to show my first cut. ha ha

myxpykalix
04-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Great job Paul....My first cut was to bore a hole in my table all the way thru so i could see the floor so anything short of that is a positive thing so you did good!!

PMK Digital Imaging
04-13-2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I don't have too much free time to design in Aspire or cut.........except on weekends. I work from 6:30a.m till 5:00p.m. M-F. I also have 10 Great Danes that demand quite a bit of time.

The question about the Walnut I used.......it had knots and several cracks.
My local lumber yard has about 500 bf of 5/4 rough sawn 8' by 12" black walnut. I have no idea what the going price is elsewhere, but he is selling it for $5.40 bf.

Has anyone cut in Cherry? That's what I'd prefer to use. I haven't asked my dealer about cherry yet.

I got my Shopbot to add to my Digital Imaging business for when I retire. HA! I think that has been moved down the road a few years......if not decades.

Thanks again for all the kinds words.

Paul

phd1658
04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Really nice work, Paul. You're going to LOVE Cherry:)

blackhawk
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Cherry and Walnut cut about the same in my opinion. As far as solid wood carving, they are both great to use.

$5.40 is a pretty normal retail price for walnut. Cherry usually runs right at the same price as walnut. Most places charge a 20 or 25 cent premium for 5/4, so if you can go with 4/4 it saves you a little. If you hunt down some local sawyers and look in the local swap papers, you can usually find some good lumber at half price. When you buy non-retail, you need to educate yourself on moisture content, grades, drying methods, etc., so that you can know what you are getting.

PMK Digital Imaging
04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the words on walnut and cherry.

I like cherry. Just personal preference.

I also like the 5/4 because you end up with a bit more massive piece.

I guess it all comes down to personal tastes.

curtiss
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
my first cut... cut my table in half and I had to start all over again.. :)

dvmike
04-30-2010, 11:31 PM
My first project was surfacing my table and cutting all my groove rails for clamping in half ! :rolleyes:

PMK Digital Imaging
05-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, I did a lot of reading before mine ever showed up. And, I had done some cad/cam before.

But, mostly beginner's luck.