PDA

View Full Version : MTC and toolname

zeykr
04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
I started with Shopbots Manual Tool Change files and have modified to work for me. Have a few more changes to make now that I've used a while but one mod was to change the post processor in Aspire to write an &toolname variable that contains the name of the tool we are requesting (i.e. 1/4 mortise compression) so that the MTC files will ask me to 'insert tool 11: 1/4 mortise compression bit' instead of just 'insert tool 11' for a double check that I'm changing to the correct tool.

I'm considering asking the link programmers if they would put in a Toolname field in the tooling parameters and output the &toolname variable also. Would this be useful to others of you?

I also think it would be a good idea if we'd work together to create a usable manual or wiki or something for the link. The manual is terrible! I'd be willing to write up a short getting started as I get things set up if you more experienced users and cab makers would add or change it as needed.

Gary Campbell
04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Ken...
I have done this for myself and others in the past. Maybe some that have it will chime in. One note tho, dont try to have a fraction in the tool name! (Dont ask how I know!)

This has been proposed to the Link crew a while back, and I assume its on a list, but dont have a clue to its priority. I do assume that those who need it have it, and those who dont, myself included, have other features on their wish lists.

Had other things (real life) not interferred with the progress, I would have had an instructional video ready for distribution by now. I have a good number of the "buttons and parameters" recorded, but wont have the time to compile them for a few months. They are interlaced with some short video clips of the actual machine movements (when finished)