PDA

View Full Version : Columbo Fan issue

bleeth
05-03-2010, 04:14 PM
After 5 years of perfect service I have noticed that the fan on my Columbo 5HP will sometimes stop running for a few seconds while cutting. This has been going on for some time now with no apparent ill affect but I am wondering if this is something normal I didn't notice before or the signs of a failing fan motor.

Dave

frank
05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi Dave,

Your fan should run continuously. It sounds like it might be starting to fail.

coach
05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Dave, I just replaced the fan on my spindle.
I had the same issue, it would run, then stop, then start again.
I could start it with a burst of compressed air. The stops were getting more frequent as time went on. Since the change no stoppage at all.

Frank at shopbot told me as he posted above,,,,,"signs of failure." He was right on.

bleeth
05-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks Frank and Dave.
I'm taking a wild guess that replacing the fan is not that big a deal.
Who is the parts dealer?

cabnet636
05-04-2010, 07:54 AM
i got one recently, call pds columbo in NC, you can fry the spindle by chancing this!

jim

coach
05-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Dave, mine is a 2 hp. I got my fan from Shopbot. I noticed it sputtering and had a big job so I ordered it next day on a Thursday. I knew it would keep working if I did that. It did but in hindsight I should have replaced it as soon as the replacement came.

It was an easy replacement on mine. Cut the old fan off leaving as much wire as I could. The replacement fan had about a foot of wire attached.
I soldererd the wires and put shrink tubing on. Small working area is the only issue I had.

bleeth
05-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys-In stock at PDS.
Ordering today.

coach
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM
what they charge for one of those bad boys?

bleeth
05-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Only 80 bucks.
Heck of a lot cheaper than a bearing job!!!

zeykr
05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Are there any part numbers or votages, cfm etc that we could use to source elsewhere?

Brady Watson
05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I believe that the Colombo's used Pabst brand fans - unfortunately not something that Grainger stocks, so you might wanna keep a spare around in case it goes bad in the middle of a big job.

Voltages vary by brand & input voltage @ the mains. I believe that all HSD spindles are 24vdc (not certain about toolchanger models), Colombos are typically 230v AC, unless 460v mains - then it is 24vdc. Double check your spindle fan before ordering to be sure.

-B