PDA

View Full Version : Counter supports

loriny
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
When cutting small corbels for counter supports what would be the best way to set them to the table? I am going to bid an ongoing supply to a current moulding customer. They are about 2" thick and need carving on both sides. I thought perhaps to set a square fence on the table and cut the design on one side, then cut half way through. Flip part and do the same. Does this sound right or does anyone see a better way? Possibly a longer bit and cut through from the second side to save a tool change?
Any feedback would be appreciated as it would certainly help for estimating times for pricing.
Lorin

jsooter
05-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I am of really no use in this but I am sure interested in doing it

kevin
05-05-2010, 06:56 AM
In the picture below I paid 70 each for them
Its hard to when to make or buy we make are own legs due to the fact most mass market legs look cheap

loriny
05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow. no way I could do that for 70. Where do you get them from. I may send him that way if I don't have time to do these for him. This is for a good customer and he has been cutting them pn a jigsaw and spindle sanding. He likes to buy as much as he can from meand I try do what I can for him.
Here in Saskatchewan most of that kind of stuff needs to be special ordered and can be a pain. An example is Arch casings. To my knowledge I am one of only 2 or 3 shops offering them in the province. Most builders have tried to go away from these windows because of the difficulty of acquiring good trim.
Back to topic I think I would Bandsaw them close to the profile and leave 2 attached together at the bottom. After cutting both sides i will probably cut them apart on the chop saw. This may not be real good money work (possibly $100 or so each) but I guess it can fill time when the bot would be idle. He wants 20 or so at a time.
Lorin

kevin
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
http://www.boisexpansion.com/accessoires/anglais/accessories.html

each shop would be differt making vs buying

jsooter
05-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Those are pretty impressive. Are they possible on the shopbot?

loriny
05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks Kevin. I think I will give them a call.
Lorin

kevin
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I think they are using 5 axis in China

jsooter
05-09-2010, 10:05 PM
I was thinking those looked like 5 axis