PDA

View Full Version : Current Projects

rcnewcomb
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Current projects in Hard Maple and Red Oak

myxpykalix
05-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Very nice randall. I can't tell because it is very subtle but on your "hand of god" carving did you use a light stain or what on it? It was just enough to bring out the details on the fingernail and contours of the skin. good job!

michael_schwartz
05-09-2010, 03:06 AM
nice detail on the bear

rcnewcomb
05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
did you use a light stain or what on it?I used Minwax Cherry gel stain:

myxpykalix
05-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Here in virginia a lot of places have red clay for front yards and this glaze reminds me of the "clay mud pies" we used to make as a kid.

When you finished the hand of god piece did you spread it on lightly to begin with then wipe off quickly? Was there a coat of anything underneath first? It looks like it has a clear coat of something? nice job.

rcnewcomb
05-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I used Deft spray on sanding sealer before applying the gel stain. Hard maple doesn't soak up the stain too quickly. I applied the stain and wiped it off after 10 minutes

wmcghee
05-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Very nice Randall, was these done with Aspire? Very nice.

rcnewcomb
05-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Yes, this was done in Aspire.

upsman
05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Nice work, I would like to know how you did the lettering on your work. What Font did you use? How did you run you tool path? And what bit did you use? I have tried to do small lettering in red oak but it did not come out looking very good. Your Speed and feed rate would also help me? Again nice work Thanks for any help

rcnewcomb
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I have tried to do small lettering in red oak but it did not come out looking very good.
The project with the lettering was done in hard maple. As you may have learned, read oak tends to tear out on fine detail. (Note the nose of the bear on the right that was done in red oak.)

What Font did you use?
The font is Times Roman Italic.

And what bit did you use?
a 90º CMT 0.75" V-bit

I would like to know how you did the lettering on your work.
On small text I have found that "raised" text carves and reads better. This is done by placing a border around the text so that everything outside of the letters and border is carved away. You need to set a flat depth.

Specifically, I entered and positioned the text. I created a 0.26" offset around the text to create the border. In the v-carve toolpath I limited the flat depth to 0.1". I did not use an end mill for area clearing.

Your Speed and feed rate would also help me
The feed rate for the v-carving was XY between 1.5" and 2.0 ips with a Z feed of 1 ips.