PDA

View Full Version : X axis problems

geoff_harman
05-10-2010, 07:15 AM
I recently upgraded the control system to PRT version 4G using 203V Gecko drives and vers. 3.6.14 software.
I am doing a 3D wing mould using Cut3D.
The rough cut works fine but about two thirds of the way through the finish cut the x cut moves towards zero - initally about 3mm then further and further in random steps until it hits the end limit (-40mm).
On this particular job it is at about line 41000.
I have checked the earthing as well as refixed all the connections to the x motors.
I have uninstalled 3.6.14 and reinstalled it and it still does it.
No other axis is affected.

Trying to correct the problem showed up a second issue with Goto/Single Step.
After the file is loaded and the line number inserted and go pressed the whole file disappears after a few seconds and then no files can be loaded in either Part File or Go to.

I have tried two different computers with the same result.
Any ideas

Geoff Harman

tmerrill
05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Geoff,

Something to quickly check and do is use the UI command to reload the firmware into the controller.

Tim

geoff_harman
05-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks Tim
The problem turned out to be a combination of cutting a 3D pattern with inappropriate ramp settings combined with a faulty Gecko card.
Once these were fixed it worked fine untill the 12v/5V power supply to the control board failed.
Between computers and the Shopbot I have gone through 5 power supplies in as many months - will try a power surge board next.
In the meantime I may have to go back to the control box until I sought out the problem.
Does anyone know the wiring colour code for the pre Gecko boards.
The outputs are labelled c A A(overscore) B B(overscore) c.
The plugs and sockets were 6 wire and I think at the motor end two wires went into the same hole.