PDA

View Full Version : Drag knife for cutting 1.2mm UHMW

team08
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I read through some posts about drag knifes on shopbots, but mostly for cutting thin/weak materials like vinyl for stickers. Anyone have thoughts on cutting through 1.2mm UHMW? We currently use steel rule dies and a clicker press to put logos in our snowboards, but using the shopbot with a drag knife could open a huge realm of possibilities for graphics on the base of our boards. Thanks!

knight_toolworks
05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
no I don't thin kit would work. I cut 1/2" cardboard with mine. when the blade gets dull the machine will have problems. Plus it does not work with corners and such.

rb99
05-16-2010, 03:28 AM
You can buy a Chinese vinyl cutter really cheap. Not the best but would be better than trying the bot.

RIB

dvmike
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I have cut some vinyl banner material using a 1/16" downcut end mill.
The trick was pulling it tight . I don't know if this will fix your issue,but worth a try.

DJMartins
04-07-2015, 01:41 AM
I read through some posts about drag knifes on shopbots, but mostly for cutting thin/weak materials like vinyl for stickers. Anyone have thoughts on cutting through 1.2mm UHMW? We currently use steel rule dies and a clicker press to put logos in our snowboards, but using the shopbot with a drag knife could open a huge realm of possibilities for graphics on the base of our boards. Thanks!

Why not cut it with a mill?
You are talking 1.2mm thick stuff which is too thick for a knife but fine with a mill, just get one for plastic and ShopBot it out.

donek
04-07-2015, 09:34 PM
This is a post from 2010, so likely already solved. UHMW does not cut well with a router bit or end mill. End mills and router bits can not cut sharp internal corners either. The material is not too thick for a knife. It works quite well with the correct tool. Up to 1/4in material with the D2 or D4 and the soon to be released D5 cuts up to 1/2in thick.
see www.donektools.com