My first paid sign
I'am okay with it blends in with the building thats what they wanted
Would i change things if I did it again yes

I have a second sign thats in the design stage

Its fun compared to the stress of cabinets

Big-Tex
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Congrats.

Main goal is for client to accept job and you happy with pay.

JohnG
05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Layout-Art-Eye-Appeal/dp/091138068X

you need to purchase this!!!! Another good investment would be a subscription to sign craft, if your truely serious about making signs.

I've been on your website Kevin, and I have to say very nice work. As for your new sideline business... signmaking....well, your eye for a decent layout is equivalent to someone with absolutely no concept of "beat", tapping his toe to his favorite song.

Sorry for the brutal honesty. Get Mike Stevens book, its will pay for itself on your next sign.

PS. I'd be happy to critique your next sign before it goes into production. I would be happy to help!!!!

kevin
05-18-2010, 07:31 AM
I know I have a lot to learn. The more I look into this, the more I have to learn. I've enclosed the logo for my next sign. I haven't started anything yet. I have the sun in 3-D. Any feedback is welcomed. Remember, in my area, it is the land of fast signs. There are no professional sign makers. I'll take your advice on reading the book.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Kevin

zeykr
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
I was trying to figure out what Cans Lair meant when I saw the www address below and realized its CanSolair. Didn't catch that the sun was meant to be an O.

Big-Tex
05-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Layout is very improtant, clear easy to read pleasing to an eye, one thing that needs to be taken in consideration how much time it will be looked at.
Say highway sign seconds, within that short time you have to catch attention ad hopefully it will stay in memory. I will not bitch and moan how bad or good your first one was. Bottom line you see ways to make impovements, customer is happy and you got payed. :)

kevin
05-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Thats there logo nothing to do with me

kevin
05-18-2010, 08:27 AM
average speed 25 niles ab hr.

dakers
05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
i remember my first paid sign. age 19 i think. it was hand lettered sign. i washed the paint off and started over so many times before it was done.
Looking at the sign a year later with more experience i wish i could do it again. i realized i could only critique myself based on my knowledge and experience at the time. I hooked up with some sign painters who had decades more experience and let them critique my work and it helped my progress the most i think plus just looking at good signs on the street and sign trade magazines. you can google these trade mags "signs of the times", "sign builder illustrated", "signcraft"
i really have never met anyone who could not improve or learn new things.
the sign business is so unique in that we sell things that people have not seen yet.

Big-Tex
05-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Here is good offer on book in question.
BarnesandNoble.com 30% Off List Price w/Code T8L4X3K. Free Shipping Over $25. Ends 5/23

Less then $18

kevin
05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Firstly, thank you all for your comments.
To the members who post their work, I really like the dedication to their perspective crafts. I think that if you are investing $20,000. and over in a tool, you definitely want to take it to the next level. I posted pictures below of my work. I realize my work has nothing to do with signs but I would have loved to make this project to my maximum ability. Example in solid mahagony but, in my area, there is no market for that. Therefore because of the responsibility of 2 employees plus the loan for the shopbot, I have to compromise. But the customer is happy.
To some of the new people, what I am about to say might surprise you. It took me less than 1 hour to design the below wall unit. I looked for simplicity to install because it has to be moved and sometimes opening up a cabinetshop is about dumming up your work to make a living.
I did learn a lot with the sign. The white part did not come out well in the picture but it looks like real concrete. That is not their primary sign. It is to identify the office.
It has that uneven grey look to it not that sprayed on stucco look. I learned to cut out the letters in 3-D something I had never done before and we used high gloss poyurethane paint.
I am hoping to get more money for my next sign which is the Cansolair. I am thinking of using the background as a giant can with his writing on top. I think it would look killer. But there again, that would be my design. Would that be traditional? No. It would be unique.
Thanks again for all your help. I get more out of this forum than I put in. I'll keep posting. Some will be good and some might be down right tacky. I hope this helps somebody starting out. Don't kid yourself, it is a tough business.
Kevin

JohnG
05-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Kevin, thats sweet !!! Now build a sign with the same architectural flair.

You can come build some furnature, bookcases or cabinets for me anytime.