PDA

View Full Version : Thank You James Booth

jhicks
03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
This is a reproduction piece of fairly ornate trim which the client found on an antique desk. They want to make reproductions and asked for the new Oak stock to be in 42" sections. James did a fantastic job of developing the file from a photo and with only a couple tweaks it was off and running.
1/8" ball nose single pass, max depth .410" with 8% step over.
Thanks James

brian_h
03-26-2007, 09:53 AM
That's really cool! I'm curious, which program did you use, James, to design the pattern?

myxpykalix
03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
That looks like it took a long time to mill? I reminds me of Brady's door accent only smaller. NICE!

jamesb
03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Jerry, good job with the cutting - glad the tweaks worked! Brian I use ArtCAM Pro to do my modelling work you can check out my gallery to see other completed work: http://www.carve3d.com

jhicks
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Jack, I wanted to double check cut time before writing this but I am pretty sure it was 1 hr 50 minutes or so for each piece 42" long. I was watching the time when it was about 75% complete and it was at 1 hr 20 minutes I'll double check when I get back to the shop on lines of code and time but thats pretty close.

myxpykalix
03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
no big deal, i was just wondering. I need to get more versed in cutting speeds/depths/chiploads, ect. to optimize my cuts. Right now my bot is set to cut at 1.7 ips and depending on what i'm cutting and evaluating whether i think its safe to cut faster I will bump up the move speed on the fly.

jhicks
03-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Hey jack, I just double checked and the time was 2 hrs 42 minutes for 240,437 lines of G-code. Strategy was raster cut, 1/8" Shop bot tapered ball nose, 8% step over single pass at 120 IPM with 30IPM plunge speed on Constant Velocity setting.
That equates to 1,485 lines of code per minute
As I look back on it we probably could have adjusted to a faster plunge speed and perhaps changed velocity settings but it ran while we did other things and results were good so guess I'll save those experiments for next time

myxpykalix
03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
bottom line is, if you have to stand there and watch it work, thats a LONG time, but if you have other tasks to do then its no big deal.

I'm sure each project is different in design, toolpathing, cutting times but do you just have a set rate that you quote customers for custom work like that so you know you aren't getting shortchanged?

dray
03-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Whoa!! Nice work.. I was going through the gallery. The weaved doors, pine tree mantle, elk door... Man that is some realllly cool stuff.