PDA

View Full Version : Surface Gold Workshop

joewino
05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Thomas Skrodzki posted this within another thread but I thought it would be good to start a new one.

Thomas is interested in learning gold leaf -specifically surface gilding. We have set up a time for him to come to my studio in Temple for a few hours of playing together.

If anyone else would like to join in you are more than welcome to come on down. It will be an informal time of learning and sharing.

You will need some patent gold leaf or you can purchase some from me.

Since this is very informal, we can discuss anything sign related and experiment with whatever you would like to know...not just gold leaf. I'll be willing to share whatever you need if I know how to do it.

Date is Saturday, May 29.

Big-Tex
05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Steve Glassel will join us as well. There is still room for ride share.

I can't wait this should be fun.

JohnG
05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Sounds like fun. Would love to see your shop, unfortunately its a little far for me.:mad:

waynelocke
05-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Ray,
I'm in.
Wayne

Big-Tex
05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Does 10 am sound good?

joewino
05-24-2010, 08:45 AM
10 AM is fine with me....see y'all there.

Big-Tex
05-24-2010, 11:47 PM
thank you we will be there

pma32904
05-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm wondering if there is room for me to attend Saturday's gold leaf meeting in Temple? I live in Austin and just came across this post this afternoon. Not sure what other method to use to get in touch with you.

Thank you,
Paul Atkinson

PS-I met you about a year ago at a Shop-Bot meeting at John Locke's shop. I'm not an owner, but interested. I do have a small desk-top CNC.

waynelocke
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I think you would be welcome.

pma32904
05-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Wayne,

I'll plan to be there around 10am. Spending the night in Temple anyway. (Sorry I called you John... must have been watching Lost too much.)

Paul

Big-Tex
05-29-2010, 02:50 AM
see ya all there 2 from Dallas and 2 from Austin that is official count.

joewino
05-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys for coming. We have five plus me and I really enjoyed the company. As with any gathering, there was a pooling of information, so I learned more than anyone.

Anytime any of you want to drop by I would be happy to have you visit.

John Oldham from Waco came and was a much better source of information than me. John has been doing gold leaf for a LONG time.

At some point all this stuff is going to be put on a video and made available to everyone. All I have to do is to do it. As I tell folks that call and ask about their sign: "All I lack is finishing".

Big-Tex
05-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I would like to thank Mr.Chapman and John for their dedication and time to share. I know that their legacy and craftsmanship will not be forgotten.

steve_g
05-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to Ray and John for spending their Saturday with us sharing a lifetime of experience. It’s also enjoyable to get together with other craftsmen and do some “show and tell”!

For those who wanted to know my source for the rare earth magnets I use for clasps on my presentation boxes …… www.kjmagnetics.com (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/)

And the kerf hinges …… www.craft-inc.com (http://www.craft-inc.com/)

Steve

pma32904
06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks to Raymond for hosting this gilding workshop! It was nice to meet everyone and benefit from the open exchange of information and gilding tips. There certainly was more information than I could absorb.

Paul