PDA

View Full Version : Random obital sanders

paul60
05-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I am sure lots of shopbot users use random orbital sanders.
just trying to get some feeback on what type seems to stand up best
most of my powertools are Makita brand.
the problem i have found with the makita sander, is that the sanding pads
just dont stand up.
and the cost of a pad is close to half the cost of the sander.
i tried a ryobi that was a step backwards.
so far the only one that the sanding pad seem to last is the dewalt.
thanks paul

michael_schwartz
05-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I use the 6" 3mm Fesstool with a CT33 vacuum and dust deputy. Practically no dust, and it removes material pretty fast.

If your going to sand 8 hours a day every day pneumatic sanders are the way to go.

knight_toolworks
05-19-2010, 08:56 PM
yes the festool is the way to go as long as your wallet can handle them. the dc is great. sandpaper is supposed to last longer too though I can't tell on that.
I only like my air sander for quick work it is slower and really eats up the air. but it is great for fast sanding without getting out a extension cord.

gc3
05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Bosch 3727 DEVS. We run 5 hard almost everyday, have to replace pads maybe every year to 18 months.

Also get sanding discs here www.onlineindustrialsupply.com (http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com)

You can get some great deals here also

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/

Gene

bleeth
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Dynabrade on an air line. Just make sure you have the compressor to handle it!!
Out of the shop I still use Porter Cable.

garyb
05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Same as Dave with Porter Cable all the way

srwtlc
05-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Although I feel that Porter Cable's quality has fallen off lately, the model 390 low profile RO sander is nice because of it's brushless motor and low profile, but it can be hard to hold onto for some because there's not much for a neck on it and my fingers start to slip when lifting and sanding edges/contours. Pads and pad brakes do wear out but I have had good luck finding any parts I need from here... http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

rcnewcomb
05-20-2010, 12:46 PM
We use Porter-Cable. Wore out one after 4 years, have two more now.

paul60
05-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the information
paul

coach
05-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I also use porter cable. I have worn out the velcro pad causing the paper to slip off. Got replacement at the Home
Depot for about 14.00. I have 3 of these in the shop and love em.
If I could afford Festool I would use everything they make.

bill_moore
05-22-2010, 09:35 AM
If your sander and pad are ok you can get a Ryobi conversion pad for $12 for a 2 pack. They are thin self adhesive skin with velcro on it,(fits any 8 hole 5 inch pad) It is meant to change a psa pad to velcro. I grind the hooks off the pad with 120 sandpaper and stick it on. Works great. Ryobi part #4600503

carlhopkins
05-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Porter Cable here as well, the Dewalt hook and loop pad fits just like it was made for it.
I am not very found of the new model with the short neck either.
I have lost two in six years and after I figured out at that time my guys were not keeping them “blown out clean” have not lost one since!

henrik_o
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Given their reputation (and price!) I haven't been too impressed with the build quality of the Festool sanders. Ours have a tendency to develop problems with the pads and brakes.

However, seen as a system I think it's hard to beat. The sanders connected to a CT series vacuum perform really well with a minimum of airborn dust. They have a nice line of accessories too, like the boom arm and the tube with integrated power cord (for their detachable power cord tools).

All in all, our next one will be a Festool.

jnbish
05-25-2010, 06:35 PM
I have four different Festool sanders, and coupled with a dust extractor they
have really improved things in my shop. Love em!
Jeff Bishop

waynelocke
05-26-2010, 01:22 AM
A Festool with dust collection can't be beat. Great sander and no dust.