PDA

View Full Version : Opinions / Suggestions on improvement?

shawnn82
05-20-2010, 10:57 PM
I just finished designing this sign. This sign will be the one that could potentially send a whole neighborhood of customers my way so i really need for this sign to be the best. Designed this using aspire. I feel there could be more done to it. I dont know. What do you guys think. The colors are yet to be chosen by the customer. this measures 24" by 32".

zeykr
05-21-2010, 07:45 AM
How did you 'paint' the sign. Bring the preview into corel or something?

joewino
05-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Whatever color you use, I would have a greater color contrast in the main copy - red on a dark background does not attract much attention.

I would suggest that the "Welcome to" all be the same font. The "To" sticks out because the font style makes it a separate thought from "Welcome". I would down play the color contrast there and place the color emphasis on the priority copy.

Leave a little more negative space around the copy. Let it 'breathe".

The ribbon is a nice touch, but the copy could be a little smaller - it will actually read better than having it pushed out to the edge of the ribbon.

Overall, it's a very nice layout and should serve you well as an advertisement of the work you do.

cartar929
05-21-2010, 08:35 AM
The word "to" in your layout appears to be awkward. I feel like there is a way to you can better integrate it with the word "welcome."

I think that the shape of your sign could be explored a little more. The flat shape at the top does not compliment the ellipse you have on the bottom. There should be a way for you to be able to create a better balance of your shape by adding something to the top, and may open the door for creating something a little more dynamic with your "welcome to" text.

When I look at this sign it also appears that the most significant item on the sign is the word "ranch," and I believe the name is the most important aspect. So, maybe try to find a way to re-size that text and maybe increase the spacing between the letters.

The banner containing the street name and number on your sign is awesome. I just think that the readability would be much more easier if you could find a way to take the number out, and just leave it so that the street name was in the banner. Maybe find a way to integrate the numbers contained in a graphic element centered over the ribbon banner.

Overall, I feel that it is a great start and it has many unique elements and traditional qualities that are very appealing and appropriate especially for neighborhoods.

How are you thinking that these signs might be installed?

cartar929
05-21-2010, 08:37 AM
wow...raymond and i just posted a minute apart

dakers
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
i would develop a three tiered price for making signs like this based on using alot of 3d carving , a little 3d or hardly any.

The art work on the bottom shows you are an artist. there are sign people who want to be artists and artists who want to be sign makers. there is a difference but i have seen great artists become great sign makers. you are on your way.

shawnn82
05-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys,

I agree with the color, i didnt put much thought into is since the customer said he would decide on those at a later time once i had the design complete.

Ken - most of the sign - banner and up was painted in aspire, i imported the preview into corel and finished airbrushing the horse scene.

C - The flat portion on the top of the sign was purposefully created as i was playing around with the idea of mounting a 13" tall rearing horse statue on top of it. Not sure if i wanna go route as i have a buddy 32" machine and 13" may look too tall for a sign that measure roughly 26" wide and 32 inches tall. Need to do some mock ups on paper to see how it all blends in. Overall I wish i had a bigger CNC machine.

Raymond - Couldnt agree more, evertyhing looks a lil clustered, need to space it out and leave a little more negative space.

Also the welcome to font dint quite fit, i will make changes to that by modifying the top of the sign. I like the idea of seperating the house number from the street address. i was thinkin maybe an oval shape or something to that effect on the top center of the banner.

i will work on the sign some more to make the needed changes. Will post pictures once its completed. I appreciate all the comments!

myxpykalix
05-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Along with some of the suggestions that the experts have noted above, something that just doesn't look right to my eyes is the dark spots on the side of the barn and silo. I don't know if that is supposed to emulate a shadow or what but it almost looks like someone burned the sign. It takes away from the natural shape and lines of the building itself.

rej
05-22-2010, 05:55 PM
can you take off the word to?
then underline the word welcome from e to e.
and can you give the words oneils ranch about .15 of base height?

shawnn82
05-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Jack - The painting on the barn was done in corel paint shop using a mouse. it was just a rough illustration so the customer got an idea of what it would look like after being cut and painted. I will do a much better job once it has been cut. the dark spots were mistakes cuased by not being able to control the mouse better while airbrushin.

Robert - The text almost looks flush with the bbackground because of the texture that i used. I dont like that texture and will use something with a significantly low profile. Will make the text stand out a little more.

rej
05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
i wish i knew how you painted that with the computer.
some day when you get the time, could you post the steps?
and after you finish this sign, please show the pics.
it is a great design and i'm sure your customer will be really happy with it.

rb99
05-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Nice work.

I see the arched text does not quite follow the ribbon arch. Small difference but if you want it as good as it can get i would tweak it.

RIB

kevin
05-24-2010, 07:26 AM
I write this as a consumer it has a 50's feel retro .Its a unigue style well done .
The only problem I see is "the welcome" to thin for maching

dakers
05-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Overall the sign is eye candy. a few tweaks here and there (suggestions above) will finish it up. When someone asks for suggestions (criticism) i always think first "does the sign do the job it is supposed to do" which means certain elements need to be legible. I have been trying to approach design with that thought in mind, "do not let legibilty be sacrificed for design sake"
so that dictates the size of the sign. I have been trying to design the sign around the copy that needs to be legible based on how far does this font need to read in the environment it is going to be in. That can be determined by how fast cars drive by the business. for a farm/ ranch it is a bit different as they are not trying to bring in spontaneous customers from the sign. So people driving by do not need to read the sign and be able do slow the car down to turn into the driveway. so there is so much more freedom in the design stage i think for farms and ranches and places that do not want to attract customers like retail businesses.
i really love the look you are achieving. it is easy for me to make suggestions on taking your sign to another level when you have taken it to the current great level, and there are some things that have been pointed out that are perfect suggestions and practical.
i do not think i could have taken your design to the stage you have it now.
I am thinking your "business model" (making signs like this) is wonderful.
I have had to compromise quality so much to make more money to put food on the table as most of my sign customers dictate what i will do based on price alone.
i encourage you to be known for signs like this if you can stay the course. in the end you will be happier i think.