PDA

View Full Version : Toolpathing question.

gundog
05-21-2010, 08:31 AM
If I am creating a file that has several toolpaths that use the same bit say a pocket toolpath and a profile toolpath can they be saved together in one cut file? I have always made each toolpath separate and without saving them together.

I am not sure I am explaining what I am trying to say very well. For example lets say I am making a roller I draw a circle and calculate the outside profile then inside the roller it needs an axle hole and I draw another smaller circle and make a pocket to cut the axle hole. If I use the same bit to cut both the pocket and profile can I save them together as a cut file that will allow the machine to do both operations? I have always made each vector it's own cut file and I spend a lot of time restarting the machine without changing the bit or speed between cuts.

Thanks Mike

gundog
05-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I sometimes have 10 or more cut files when cutting a sheet of parts I may have 3 profiles using the same bit but different depths of cut I am thinking I could just click on all the toolpaths that use the same bit and save them as one cut file but I have been to afraid of screwing up the material to give it a try.

Mike

dana_swift
05-21-2010, 09:04 AM
As long as all of the toolpaths use the same bit, you can select them all, and select the check box: "Output all visible toolpaths to one file".

I set the toolpath order, such that the first cuts never cut through the material, later cuts are deeper, and lastly anything that cuts completely through (especially if I am using my vacuum hold-down), or weakens the material so accuracy would degrade. That keeps the first cuts spot-on, later cuts may have to tolerate slight motion of the stock from the weakness introduced by earlier cuts.

I have presumed you are using a current version of Partworks, Aspire, or VCarve Pro to generate your toolpaths. The shopbot itself couldn't care less, it just receives a list of places to move and rates to go there.

Good luck-

D

ken_rychlik
05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
As long as the same bit is selected and you stack them in the order you want them cut it will be fine.

You will wonder why you had not done it sooner. lol

You can do it with different bits also, if you have a tool change post processor.

Kenneth

gundog
05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys my machine is a PRS and my design software is the newest version of Partworks. I thought it would work but confirmation makes me feel better about doing it.

I hired a guy to help me out and I am trying to make things easier for him to run the SB. I do all the drawing and toolpathing he just needs to setup the machine and run the files I make.

Mike

tmerrill
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Mike,

The preview feature in Partworks is outstanding but to see what combining toolpaths will produce you should look at the ShopBot previewer. It was written by Vectic, so you should feel comfortable with it. This will input the cut file you saved with Partworks using your post processor and show you exactly what your machine is going to do with that cut file.

It is always best to copy your Partworks tool database into the ShopBot Previewer folder, especially if you have any special tools. That way you can match exactly what you designed for.

Tim

jerry_stanek
05-21-2010, 11:14 AM
vcarve pro and Aspire have a safety feature when using output all files that if your cutters are not the same it will not let you make the shopbot cut file.