PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a custom bit to cut and shape wood?

mikenicee
05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Can the shopbot cut through wood using a 1/4" round bullnose router bit. Id like to be able to cut and round the edges in one pass. Is this possible?

knight_toolworks
05-25-2010, 06:16 PM
your talking using a roundover bit with a straight cutting edge? so you get the top rounded over and cut the part out? you can do it but it is a real pain. you have to have the material and the exact thickness for it to work. plus everything needs to be really flat to do it. it's usually better to do the two as seperate operations. plus it is better if you can to roundover on a router table because of flatness.

jsooter
05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
I use a custom table decorative edge bit when I make these special frames for a photographer. It had a 1/2" bearing on it that I cut off with a lathe. So I use a 1/2" straight bit to rough out the material as deep as the bit will cut and then I use the same toolpath with the decorative bit and it works just fine. But I agree with Steve that some things are just easier on a router table. Below is a link if you are interested in a possible outcome of doing it

http://brendahoran.com/blog/?p=621

knight_toolworks
05-26-2010, 02:34 AM
another problem with doing the one bit method is the wider base of the bit won't get into the tight area's of letters and such. a pointed tip roundover works better. I have been doing big signs for plastic moulding and now I can get away with doing roundovers on the machine. but for the most part I have done them off as it is faster and less temperamental.