PDA

View Full Version : Table Top relief design... WIP :-)

khalid
09-30-2009, 07:22 AM
I am designing 3set table for my home.. Some 6Hrs work from scratches still in complete.. table top 5feet x 2.4 feet and relief height 9mm..

I will cut it partially in the coming weekend...

mikeacg
09-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Khalid,

I like it! Will it have glass on the top or is the texture not a problem? I look forward to seeing your progress!

Mike

khalid
09-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Actually.. We have a design change.. The center portion will be down whereas the border will be up...We will put glass on the center portion... I kept the relief height 9mm so putting the design on it will be no problem... (Any suggestion will be warmly welcome)

Today, after hectic work on border design..My wife gave me advice to put the top border plan.and place the same border design as a skirt of the table..

Now i have to rework on it... I am looking for 3D model of eagle paw-ball legs for that table...

carlosgmarroquin
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I like it.

I'll be waiting the final result.

myxpykalix
09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I would either inlay the design in the border or fill it and the center with epoxy to create a flat surface all the way across.

khalid
09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Jack..thats some very nice idea... Thanks for sharing...

khalid
10-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Thinking of making some new style claws-ball legs.. Did tried in 3D Studio Max and after one hour work i got following results... I will take them to Artcam and will enhance the details and will add some flourishes..

I think the leg style in the top picture looking good... Lets see how many designs i will make and compare to select a single one for my table...

--------------------------------
http://www.my-woodcarving.blogspot.com

steve_fedor
10-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Jack, what software are you using to illustrate your
your drawing?

bcammack
10-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I think that's a knuckle-ball grip, no?

I see your stuff, Khalid, and it always makes me wish that the artistic/creative side of my brain worked as well as the analytical/engineering side does.

I always tell people that I let my wife handle the shape/pattern/color/location stuff. I just make sure the result is plumb, square, and won't fall down...

Great work, as always!

courtney2018
10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Wow! Thats really intricate. Have you thought about designing your own line of furniture?

khalid
10-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Brett.. I am not artistic but sometime i accidentally create something good...I am a Mechanical Engineer and love to play with maths rather than Flowers;)

Courtney, Sometime i think to open a showroom and display my work, but i am afraid i will never fulfill the orders...

Today i started machining of center piece of my table...

kevin
10-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Wow that is good,
Thats the hardest thing I've not yet mastered 3D

khalid
10-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Kevin.. I am also learning that 3D stuff..

I have this only one 1/8" ball nose bit that i am using for more than two years.. Now its going to dull ;)...

courtney2018
10-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Khalid, not being to fulfil the orders on your own is a good problem. That's when you hire people and you can do what you love for a living. I'm a mechanical engineer as well, but if I could get up when I want, work when I want and play when I want I'd be a happy camper!

rb99
10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi Khalid,

Do you have a vacuum for dust?

Richard

khalid
10-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Courtney.. Its difficult to produce work for my home..The machine occupies one room of my Home and its difficult to run business inside home unless you have some dust proof and sound proof setup.. ;)Just see, i did the center piece in 03 steps.. The right and Left done on yesterday and it took 12 Hours straight... I use ear-plugs when i am near to machine..When the room door is closed i just hear a Buzz sound that remind me that router is running ... Yesterday due to malfunction in the power-cable socket the router ( Spindle) stopped and bit stucked in the workpiece with steppers running.. Thanks its a slow speed machine ;)..

The machine is on now and hope it will complete the center piece in few hours...

Richard..I don't have vacuum system installed o my machine..However i have portable dust collection unit.. It works very well at the end of the JOb...

rb99
10-04-2009, 03:41 AM
I would suggest you build a simple dust foot and capture the dust as it is being cut. It is amazing how well they work.

I was also thinking that the feet should not be "toe catchers"! If they are too sharp or ornate and you stub your toe it could really hurt...

Looks great!

Richard

khalid
10-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Richard.. Vacuum setup is in my todo list.. If i made another machine i will implement it from the start...

Yesterday after 8 hours and 30minutes the centre piece is completed...

Now to make skirt relief work...

rb99
10-05-2009, 02:13 AM
All you need is a flat piece of material, cut a couple of holes in it, glue some broom hair around it, and a bit of straight tube...

You could put that together easy!

It will make things so much better.

RIB

khalid
10-05-2009, 02:30 AM
Richard..I have cheap Chinese blower..i don't think it will work continuously for hours... However i will try on that..

carlosgmarroquin
10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Very nice Khalid!!

mitch_prest
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
G'day Khalid

are you still looking for a claw for the table.. hows this

myxpykalix
10-05-2009, 09:16 PM
mitch...thats neat, what pgm did you make that in? Are those two seperate objects? Have you cut anything like that before? How would you make the undercuts by the nails?
Would you have to lay the nails on the surface of the ball? Very cool......

mitch_prest
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
this was done with Zbrush, then exported as an OBJ.. If I was going ti cut this I would probably fill in behind the toes and the nails then carve them out by hand. This one would have to be done on an indexer.. not something I have yet... but I have done hands on the on a flat plane holding things.. it would be interesting to see how this worked out on an indexer..

m

khalid
10-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Mitch.. this is a nice peace of art.. I wonder how you did it in Zbrush... Did you start it from scratches or you imported a model into z-brush?.. How long it took to complete this part...

My this table project is on hold because my fertilizer plant has a planned shutdown for 20 days started from next week.. I will be busy in maintenance ;)

I will surely try this at my indexer.. You are a great Artist..

I was thinking of this model with a help of Hen Leg + Ball and David laser scanner... I have a old copy of Z-brush but its very difficult to work with... What experties require to make such a beautiful art?

myxpykalix
10-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Mitch if you could fill in below the nails and toes and make the leg a little fatter and want to send it to me i would try to cut this on my indexer.

khalid
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Is their anybody who can lend legs to this table.. especially Victorian style legs...

myxpykalix
02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
khalid i sent you an email but it kept crashing on me so i'm not sure you got it, let me know if you did.:confused:

khalid
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM
khalid i sent you an email but it kept crashing on me so i'm not sure you got it, let me know if you did.:confused:
Hi,
I didn't receive your email. Can you kindly send me again at following address:

engr.khalid.khattak@gmail.com

Regards