PDA

View Full Version : Goals

joe
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Goals

Have you made any long range business goals this year?
The kind of goals, long and short, which you can look back on January 1?

I post mine on the bathroom mirror. It really focuses the mind. For me they have to be written down. Long Hand. I've found the more I focus on them the more they come true.

Have you taken the time to make some goals?
I'm wondering if this is a common practice.

Joe Crumley

bleeth
06-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I sure do Joe. I think they are indispensable, as well as at the very least an outline of how I plan on accomplishing them and a regular revue so changes in the plan to meet the goals can be made when necessary pro-actively.

joe
06-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Here's a couple of my short term goals:

Meet at least one new prospective client every week. Set out to find them.

Hand out business cards every time you leave the shop. Give them to everyone. Who knows where they will lite

Leave a business cards at new development const. trailers.

I'll post some long range goals and plans later.

Verks fer me, hope it verks fer yu!

Joe

carve_1
06-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Not really goal oriented,, but I can share an inspiring moment I had this weekend.

Living in a small town, I ride my bike to the local McDonalds for a break time soda now and then. In doing so you gradually pick up conversation with others that are like minded.

Most are retired and swap stories of past work achievements. One of these fellow soda pilots befriended me and asked what I am doing. He seemed geniunely interested in my answer and we fell into one of those conversations that are rich in coincidence.

He made his living in Physics. In his youth he attended Penn State and was part of a group that developed the use of vibrating quarts cristal as a measurement tool,,, which eventually became the wrist watch so many of us wear.

The United States Army, at one time, wanted to know what effect a rifles report had on a solder's hearing. He developed a device for them that measures the stength of the concusion wave as it expands from the rifle's nozzle. I found declasified reports of this on Google and told him so.

I was intreged with my new friend, because in my youth,I studied the development of atomic energy, reading any books I could find on the subject. I told him this and he quietly glowed. " I was there " he said,,, my measuring devices measured the first atomic test at Los Alamos.

Well ,,, you can smack me three times and hand me to Grandma,,,,, I was in the presence of great accomplishment.

I suppose he felt a kindship for my meger undertakings, and asked me to walk him to his car,,, he wanted to give me a gift. A coleague had just retired and returned many of the measuring devices he developed. He handed me a copy of the device that measures a rifles report.

I'm going to make a fitted box for it and ask if he would autogragh it when completed.

You never know when a contact will bear fruit,,, this man certianlly needs nothing from the likes of me,,, but he did instill a calming hope that opportunity can come from any direction,,. and need not roar as it approaches.

Charles

joe
06-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I have another challenge which I've put off for years.

When reading a post on CSA about selling signs at "Farmers Markets" I was intregued. One artist Joe Chips showed us his method and examples. He makes his living off of small carved signs. Unlike us he hand carves them. Joe has the finishing techniques down pat.

I look forward to making some sample signs like his and give this market a try. He has a several standard shapes and a little brochure for the customers to order from. Joe says people come to the market with money in hand to spend and some of it goes to sign orders.

He also has a little pop up ten covering decorated with his name. This is going to be fun.

I've been encouraging Thomas to consider this venture in his area.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll131/jmakinchips/003.jpg

clueless
06-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Great story Charles, thanks so much for sharing it!

bleeth
06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
How's this Joe:

An RV with the little garage in back, an SB Buddy, and a nice little side "retirement" income while we finally get to really see the USA (and Canada!).

The wife and I are ready, now all I have to do is sell the box plant! Know anyone with a nice stack of change who wants to buy a going and growing business in beautiful Ft. Lauderdale, Florida? We'll even throw in the house in Delray for a good price.

Dave

joe
06-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Joe Chips has proven, to me, there's a market high quality quarter boards. The customer can choose a variety of small decorations such as sea shells, star fish, horse heads, etc which he has gilded ready to apply.

There are several websites of panels like for sale. You can get the prices from them. A general price is approx $250. for the small ones. Joe gets lots of big orders from his weekend display.

He's a good fellow too.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll131/jmakinchips/001.jpg

dvmike
06-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm considering the open market idea thouroughly !
It seems like a really good way to open up some avenues to fill dead time as well.(Where I'm at right now)
Thanks for passing on the idea Joe !

GlenP
06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey neat Joe. I have been tossing around whether to start going to our local market but not sure if potential customers are looking for a bargain basement price. I have researched one farmer's market and the guy selling signs was giving them away in my opinion. His work was not great in my opinion but he was selling lots of them....but a 1.5" x 14" x 24" cedar sign vcarved sign is worth more $150 bucks. Joe do you have link to a post for info about farmer market selling? I am really busy with cabinet work right now but I am trying to bust out and get more sign work but am just glad to be busy with the way things are these days. Have a good night all. May your router keep spinning, chips keep flying and your wallet be full. :)

carve_1
06-16-2010, 12:44 AM
The season for open air selling is here,,, every time the economy " resets " , pennies start getting pinched and consumer tastes swing to personal hand made products.

I have done some of this and it can be magical,,,, it is an escape from the usual corporate hum- drum. Simply set up a tent and put a smile on your face,,,, make yours a little differant than theirs,,, and folks will bend over backwards to buy the differance.

One secret I have discovered over the years is price range . Do'nt handicap your self by offering only $ 150 pieces,,, customers with that kind cash on hand are too scarce and will think hard before handing it to you. I am developing some carvings to start at $19.95 because the twenty dollor bill is the most previlent in everyones pocket. My blue money maker has no problem cutting these in bulk while I clean and personalize them. The sky is the limit from there.

Charles

joe
06-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Charles,

I'd be careful with pricing. Diving for the bottom will NOT work. I would encourage you to Google the market. That's a fool proof method for establishing a retail price range.

There's a good Christmas Gift market which needs to be tapped. A personalised sign with family names should be a hit.

Everyone likes to see their name on a sign. Even ME!

carve_1
06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree Joe,,, I should have clarified. I have carvings worth four figures,, and they will sell for four figures.
A $20 carving spreads my price range to a greater customer base, but these may never be my bread and butter sales.

A wise ole decoy carver that sells his wares on the Wildfowl Carving circuit once told me his secret. Be sure to offer something to all customer finantial abilities,,, and no one will leave your table mortified that they could not afford your work.

Charles

ghostcreek
06-16-2010, 01:02 PM
I agree with Charles here. In this slow economy (in my area anyways), we have gotten good income from markets and craft fairs. The lower (approx $20.00) priced items generate sales and lead to bigger projects. We cannot afford to throw away any client. It all depends on your area and the current economic situation in your area of operations. We generate $500-$800 dollars in a weekend from these kind of sales. We all do what we have to, to succeed.

joe
06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
What does a $20. sign look like? I may be missing the boat.

Here's a link to cabin type signs. http://www.fairsigns.com/

bleeth
06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Joe: You know I'm not a sign guy but my take is that none of the signs on that front page are 20 dollar signs. If I were to take a guess a 20 dollar sign would be a piece of pine or something like it 4" x 10" with 4 numbers cut into it by cutting along vector with a ball nose bit, maybe an edge route like an ogee or something, and has no finish at all (not even clearcoat or oil) and if sandpaper ever touches it it will be after the client takesa it home. Beyond that you are either losing money or making a marketing investment. What do you think?

joe
06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks David,

Everyone of you guys, on this forum, has a Financial Bazooks in their work place, cocked, and ready to fire. But it needs to be aimed at the right place to get the best results.

If I had a five dollar bill every time old sign painters told me their market was poor, I be rich. Our competiton isn't with others making signs, it's with new TV, cars, furniture, lawnmowers, and all the other expences where our customers choose to spend money.

This country is awash and wealthy, with money.

Each year I travel outside the US. It sets my perspective of how rich we are. Everyone on this forum diserves more. I think you can get it too.

carve_1
06-17-2010, 01:23 AM
My mistake Joe, you were talking signs, I was talking trinkets on the lower end of the carving spectrum.
These are examples of fast work in the $20 range and smaller than 6 x 6 inches,,,, one is a skull and cross bones cut into old barn wood. The wood is real cheap ( or free ) and lends it's self to the Pirates of the Caribean look.
The other is a pine Christmas ornament I designed and will put light color washs on.
These are fast and draw the " Look at this " responce when on your table.

Charles

ghostcreek
06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I was not talking signs for $20, there are alot of items that can be made on the shopbot and sell for $20 and up. I am a woodworker first, and do signs as called upon. Each of us finds our own way and serves our clients. As my father always told me, make what people are buying and you will never go hungry! That simple statement has kept me going for over 30 years. Good Luck to all in finding your own way out there.