View Full Version : What cutting bit to use for metal?

plemon
06-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi,

I want to start cutting metal on my shopbot and would like to know what types of cutters people would recommend.

The first thing I'm cutting is 3mm mild steel, basically turning a 30x30mm square tube into a sliding rail for a door by cutting a 12mm gap along one edge. Pretty straight forward but I want to get cutters that are designed for metal but don't know really what to look for.

I'm also cutting some curved patterns out of 6mm steel (possibly stainless). Has anyone cut this before?

Also, I'm thinking of air cooling for this. Anybody see an issue with this?

Phil

shoeshine
06-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Hi Phil,

First of all you are asking what to use for steel, my reaction is "don't".

The gantry and side rails on the bot are extruded aluminum. I wouldn't try to cut anything stiffer than the tool I am using. To mill steel you really need a machine built for it.

I do quite a bit of metal, but we are talking brass, copper and aluminum.

For those, I use "niagra cutter" non-ferrous bits, both 1/4" and 1/8". I get mine from centerline industrial as I have a shop local. They do online orders as well though. I have not found a need for cooling, though I do use a cutting lubricant called nixstix. The wax (I think) based formula comes in a push-up tube that you can rub on the bit and the work piece.

Chris