PDA

View Full Version : first outdoor paying sign

brian
06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Here my first outdoor sign other than my own.
She asked for simple minimal maintenance and an eagle to be incorperated.
She also asked for something different,She seemed quite pleased with the final product.Wasn't a difficult sign to do,although I was worried about the cedar tearing out.It actually machined fairly well with minimal problems
It's made of face grain old growth cedar from my property.
The pictures are a bit dark as It was raining (life on the west coast)
the eagle and numbers are mounted away from the vertical post
it makes the eagle more realistic.
the numbers are suspended by a 1/4" rod
Any comments god or bad are welcome

Brian

dvmike
06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I like it !
The eagle is really awesome.
Was it a VA3D file?

Great job !

brian
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes Mike it's a VA3d file.
When I first milled it,I didn't think it was all that great.The oil I applied gave it
some contrast which made the details stand out.

Brian

navigator7
06-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Here my first outdoor sign other than my own.
Any comments god or bad are welcome
Brian
I like it a lot.
There is a saying about ''coloring outside the lines". Your art suggests that (In a good way) ;-)

It's so easy to put art inside a box and fence it in. I think art should explode out of the ground. Gridlines and perfect symmetry are only important when spinning at high revolutions.

Sometimes this ideology is costly. I was one of three idea guys planning a veteran's memorial in my home town. Plaques would be installed of those living and deceased.
They wanted to use columnar basalt in the design. I proposed to make columnar basalt models from concrete in a free flowing natural way.

I lost out. ;-)

The decision makers were fond of straight lines and regimentation found in the military.
Moving 20,000Lb chunks of columnar basalt from where Mother Nature put it to where the memorial reps wanted it nearly broke the bank.

I would encourage you to continue the free form look but don't forget to listen to the customer when they ask for block letters inside a box.

Oh... God is good!

brian
06-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I agree Chuck,but there's always that little voice asking you if you've gone to far.So far people have liked what I've done.
I've been playing with concrete lately and I think it has great potential as a mixed medium with wood.
I'm lucky to live very near the ocean which translates into ocean front property
which again translates into big money.Having lived at this location for 27 years I've seen the demographics change quite dramatically.I'm finally infiltrating the nich.I have a friend who built a set of cabinets for one wealthy couple and he hasn't stopped since.

Brian

navigator7
06-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I agree Chuck,but there's always that little voice asking you if you've gone to far.
I've been playing with concrete lately and I think it has great potential as a mixed medium with wood.
I'm lucky to live very near the ocean which translates into ocean front property
which again translates into big money.Having lived at this location for 27 years I've seen the demographics change quite dramatically.I'm finally infiltrating the nich.I have a friend who built a set of cabinets for one wealthy couple and he hasn't stopped since.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Kudos to you. Nothing like success to beget more success and collect that elusive confidence.

Perhaps your voice should be asking where is your limit?
;-)
I saw a coffee table in Leavenworth, Wa that was a glorious work of art.
Wood, steel, brass, rocks, glass and concrete all melded together to look like a black bear clawing at a rainbow trout beneath the water.
One of the nicest pieces I've ever seen.
I flipped the tag which indicated a price of $12,950.00.
My left ventricle fetched up as 50 years of plaque in my body got knocked loose at the shock.
I said to my wife; "Just who is gonna buy a 12K coffee table?"
The hostess informed me brusquely "it came in yesterday and just sold 5 minutes ago!"

Where do you want your limit?

I don't think concrete as a medium and shopbots are fully appreciated yet.
If you stay with concrete...remember fibre mesh, acyril-60, vibrators and a Smooth-On product that allows concrete to release from foam but adds very little to the mold. Concrete for signs just sounds too freakish for some but I'm telling you....especially in a salt environment, concrete is outstanding.
The ability to paint, stain, seal is nearly unlimited in the field.
That concrete counter tops are competing with granite should be a hint.

My shop finally starts this fall and a bot to follow.....for the moment I'm trying to enjoy life knowing there is a better way.
This is a sink made in concrete: (Not mine)