View Full Version : Now what???

maginter
06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
OK, I have a real head scratcher.....

I have been completely through my system and cannont for the life of me figure out what is going on. I have a PRT96 with a Botrod G4 controller. It has a dual Z axis. The First Z axis works fine and without issue. The A axis (second Z) is making all kinds of noise. When I move it up it grinds and moves down. If I move it down it grinds and goes down. It acts like it is slipping a gear. Almost like it is jammed. But get this. I swap the Z and A connections and the second Z is smooth as silk, but the problem has now moved to the First Z axis. I am really at a lose. It has to be internal, but I can't find it. I have moved Gecko Drives around and still have a problem.

I did an experiment and it looks like it is following the "A" designation. Below I have modifed the Input Driver Definition and it was alway the "A" designation the wasn't acting correctly. I think that my Bot hate A's :D

Driver 1 X X A

Driver 2 Y Y Y

Driver 3 A Z Z

Driver 4 Z A X

Your insight is appreciated..........

TIA,

Mark

carlcnc
06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Mark
sounds like either
A; one of the 4 wires to your motor is a loose connection
or
B; driver is bad
If A fix it soon or you will have condition B
Carl

John David
06-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I agree with Carl Sounds like a wire problem

maginter
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I only ask as to how it could be wiring ifit moves with the Shopbot software, but not the hardware?

Gary Campbell
06-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Have you checked unit values and settings (degrees/inches, res. mult etc) for the A axis? [VU] and [VD]

maginter
06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Check those and they are correct. I even rest the software and got nothing.

maginter
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, I just heard back from Shopbot tech suport and they are saying that interface board is bad. I contacted them thinking it might be a software glich. So that means that I am going to have to spend a lot of money that I don't have.

Does anyone have a good email address of phone number for Dirk Hazeleger? I want to see if I can contact him about repairing my board.

Thanks,

Mark

br928
06-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Mark,

There are 5 channels on that board. Are you using all 5? Try moving it to another channel if you're not. Can you swap cables on the two Z's to see if the problem moves?

br928
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Re-read ur post and it seem the problem does move if you swap cables. If the Geckos have been ruled out try channel 5 on the AGek board.

maginter
06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi Stan -

Yes I did think about that.... I m going to try that when I get back Sunday..... I will let you know if it works.....

Thanks