PDA

View Full Version : saltwater protection

dan_nelson
06-17-2010, 11:26 AM
a quick question for salt spray protection. I have a cedar sign going to the gulf . It will have pickled white stain on the body and gold painted letters. will marine varnish work for the sealant or any other suggestions? Yes they want real wood.Thanks in advance.

bleeth
06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Yes-A good spar varnish will do the job. Another longterm option is AWLGRIP Foxfire-This is a post catalyzed clearcoat that is hard as nails but very pricey.

jerry_stanek
06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
all that oil in the gulf will preserve it

Big-Tex
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I like catalized products over varnish, salty air preserves wood its a sun you need to worry about.

knight_toolworks
06-17-2010, 08:35 PM
some of the good water based finishes will not yellow as fast and a oil varnish will. Plus they dry faster.

gc3
06-17-2010, 10:36 PM
What ever finish you use...it will need recoating for any natural wood product exposed to a outdoor environment. Take the gallon you will use to the client and tell them at best a 6-8 month recoat will be necessary, IMHO. We install many projects in an outdoor setting and believe me that the sun takes it's toll quick. That being said from a shop located below the Tropic of Cancer.

Gene

ghostcreek
06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Well said Gene. Here on the west coast of USA I have to recoat spar varnish every year. The summer heat (100-110 degrees) and winter rains cause spar varnish to crack and peel. I have used many brands, most are the same with two exceptions (imho), Sikkens and west systems products. I usually get 2-4 years of good looking (exterior) finish. I am curious, since I have little to no humidity here, how are you Gulf & east coast folks doing exterior clearcoats?

dan_nelson
06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks ,used the Sikkens still drying.