PDA

View Full Version : cutting 3 form

jerry_stanek
06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Has anybody cut ant of this material I only have a couple of small pieces to try but I have a job cutting a design and some letters in the design. It is Varia Ecoresin .125 thick. At $400 a sheet I don't want to mess up. From what I can tell it is recycled milk jugs I tried breaking it by bending it and it just bends.

Gary Campbell
06-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Jerry...
It sounds like you could cut it using specs for poly, Starboard, UHMW or Trex. Single O flute, 12K rpm 1ips or less for small letter for a starting point

bleeth
06-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Jerry:

I have cut a lot of 3-form plastics and the main thing to realize is their products are not all the same by no means. Try a couple of test cuts where it doesn't count. Gary's advice is a perfect starting point but you may have to play with feeds and speeds and you also may never get the edge finish you need from your router.

jerry_stanek
06-21-2010, 06:16 AM
There is not enough space on the sheet to test. the design is 95 X 46. and I don't want to mess and have to buy another sheet. It was special order that the shop where I work ordered.

bleeth
06-21-2010, 06:34 AM
You should be fine with Gary's suggestion or possible a bit lower in the RPM's. I spin as low as 8-10k for acrylics sometimes when they are not virgin cast. Ramp in for sure and lead in if you can. With a piece that thin make sure your holddown is good.