PDA

View Full Version : Tab depths?

shoeshine
06-29-2010, 11:58 PM
OK I'm missing something here. When you add tabs to a profile toolpath, does partworks calculate the tab from the bottom of your material or the bottom of the cut?

For example, If I am using a compression bit in .5" material and I want to run the cut .125" below the material (into the spoilboard to assure a cut through in uneven material) If I want .25 deep tabs can I just enter .25? or do I have to enter .325" to get 1/4inch tabs?

seemingly simple question but I cant seem to find the answer.

Thanks in advance
Chris

myxpykalix
06-30-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't know this for sure but i believe that your tab placement, height, length is going to be based on the thickness of the material and your Zzero placement (top of material, ect).

So that if you have a tab 1/8th tallX1/4 wide it will be at the bottom of the 1/2" material and even if you give it a cut depth below the bottom of the material it should make your tab because i believe it is calculating the distance relationship between your material thickness, Zzero placement, and height and width of the tabs.

But then again i could be all wrong....

knight_toolworks
06-30-2010, 01:47 AM
yes thickness of material so make the tab thicker.

tmerrill
06-30-2010, 05:49 AM
Hi Chris,

I know Tony has given you the correct answer on the Vectric forum but thought this may help you in the future.

If you have your toolpath visibile and use the View pull-down menu to uncheck "Color Shaded View" only the toolpath stays visible. This is the path the bottom center of your bit will follow and in this simple example you can see the 4 tabs left at the bottom of the toolpath cut depth.

Tim

shoeshine
06-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Right on Tim, handy trick that... I'll remember to check myself that way.