PDA

View Full Version : Photoelectric cells

myxpykalix
06-30-2010, 03:17 AM
I have a nonlit stairwell going to the basement and when i'm carrying materials to work on and have my hands full I have a black cat that has gotten stepped on a few times (REEEEOOOWW!)

I'd like to set up some type of photoelectric cell that would turn on the light as i pass by the beam at the top and turn it off when i pass by the beam at the bottom.

Actually while writing that i thought of using something like a motion sensor light like for your porch if i could narrow the focus of the beam

cabnet636
06-30-2010, 06:10 AM
isn't it amazing that just posting on shopbot can make the lightbulb come on!!

lol

jim

rick_woodward
06-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Hey Jack
Got just what your wanting here. Found this a while back, real cool !

Project Kits - Stair Light Kit - Alan's Electronic Projects Online Store (http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/index.php/cPath/1_2)
check it out. rick woodward

navigator7
06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
I'd like to set up some type of photoelectric cell that would turn on the light as i pass by the beam at the top and turn it off when i pass by the beam at the bottom.

Hi Jack,
Hoping to be the mirthful pithy PC incorrect slob of the bunch, I ask the question:
Why turn the light off?
I calculate about 12¢ per day to just leave a light on using a 100 w bulb invented by the blessed Edison which is now considered a global killer by many.
The cost of a lit stairway 24/7 to offset the consequences of a geriatric fall seems like money well spent! ;-)
It'll take about 250 days to pay for your motion sensor.
I checked into Clap-On/Clap Off but I realized your hands were full.
Perhaps a fluorescent light would provide enough light so your cat can see you coming?
Use the money you save on my suggestion to get the cat's hearing fixed!
Surely you are cussing like a steam engine every time you negotiate the goat path?
BTW......nice mimic job describing the cat sound!
(REEEEOOOWW!)

jerry_stanek
06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
why not just put a night light in. You can get one of the energy efficient ones.

zeykr
06-30-2010, 09:28 AM
If the switch is at top of stairs, the big box stores all sell motion activated light switches that replace your normal switch. They have adj sensitivity and timers on them so light goes out after so many minutes.

myxpykalix
06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
jim,
I had to post here because i couldn't get the lightbulb to come on above my head (the imaginary and real one, (so to speak!)

Rick- I saw a "instructable" similar to that but i have no electronics or soldering skill. My hands shake too much for that. But a good suggestion!

Ken- probably the best suggestion but i wouldn't want to hurt the others feelings, so don't tell them..

jerry- a nightlight? that would be the simpliest and easiest answer but (we) here never do things the easy way!! lol

chuck-The cost of a lit stairway 24/7 to offset the consequences of a geriatric fall seems like money well spent! ;-)

point well taken.

Perhaps a fluorescent light would provide enough light so your cat can see you coming?

you make the assumption that he cares enough to move even if he knows i'm there.

Use the money you save on my suggestion to get the cat's hearing fixed!

I will make appointments with the eye and ear doctors next week.

BTW......nice mimic job describing the cat sound!
(REEEEOOOWW!)

When my children were young they noticed that when we fed a different cat he would "reoww" as to say thank you, so when i fed them instead of "thank you" they would go "reoww" (ahh to be 5 years old again!)

So when you read that above you needed to have a higher pitch with an emphasis on the "OOOWW" part. Its all in the number of O's!

All very good suggestions....

zeykr
06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
An alternate suggestion would be to put lights on the cat!

bcondon
06-30-2010, 08:54 PM
You can buy switch replacements which leave the light on for as short as 15 seconds to up to 20 minutes at HD.

When I redesigned the house, I wanted to reduce the amount of water I would dump into my septic tank and have instant hot water.

I use a photocell in each bathroom that turns a pump on at the water heater to recycle water to the faucets. I have a return line from each of the far ends of the bathrooms back to the water heater.

When you walk in the bathroom, the water is sucked through the return line back to the water heater while it draws hot water to the bathrooms.

All of my pipes are heavily insulated.

The goodness is when you turn the water on, it is immediately hot.

Very simple designed typically used in commercial and industrial applications for the house. This is especially good if your bathroom is a long way from the water heater!

Bob

curtiss
06-30-2010, 09:25 PM
The more time you step on a cat, the flatter they get,

eventually you will not even know they are there...

myxpykalix
06-30-2010, 11:17 PM
But then i would have to change his name to "Pancake"

Bob Condon what is your email address i'd like to find out more about your water system, mine is in profile if you don't want to publish it here.

ssflyer
07-02-2010, 11:50 AM
or change his name to "Frisbee" :)

myxpykalix
07-02-2010, 12:15 PM
The easiest thing was to give him away......

mitch_prest
07-06-2010, 04:18 PM
instead of stepping on the cat .. why not step on a foot switch that turns on the lights...

myxpykalix
07-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I went out and bought a couple switches that Ken Z recommended. I have yet to install them but so far the cat is surviving....

gene
07-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I dont think that putting lights on the cat will work , unless there is a plug on the stairs where it lays.:D

myxpykalix
07-08-2010, 01:26 AM
I could stick his tail in the socket, that would probably make him GLOW!

I am going to use kens suggestion of the switch (see his pic). I haven't gotten to it yet but the idea was I wanted to pass by the switch at the bottom, have it turn on, when i pass by the switch at top it turns it off.

I don't think you can hook these up like a 3 way switch so i way have the bottom activate a seperate light and top one, same thing.

magic
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM
How about epoxy and a 2 inch long pencil? I like PC 7 from Allentown PA.

Attach the pencil to the switch so it extends out. Use your elbow to flip the switch.

A side benefit is: Use the eraser to rub dirt off your elbow.... you know... all the dirt you get when you put your elbow on the desk, while you're looking at these posts.