View Full Version : Standalone Indexer Project

br928
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Over the years I have collected enough Bot parts to build a dedicated standalone indexer.

Before I started the design process I wanted to get some input from the guys that are using the indexer.

What would be the optimum capacity? (Length and Diameter)
I know longer is better but longer cost more and takes up more room. Would you really need anything longer than a standard table leg for most applications?
I have a 6" Z so that would fix the max diameter.

Would you try to integrate some type of dust/chip containment system into the design or just let the chips fly? I have a cyclone dust collection system to hook it up to.

I am going to put this on castors so it can be stored out of the way when not being used.

Thanks for your input.

myxpykalix
07-06-2010, 01:19 AM
There is almost no way to create enough suction to be able to put any kind of dust collection that would be that effective. On My Legacy ornamental mill which is a standalone indexer of sorts I just have built up sides that the sawdust hits and falls into a bin underneath.

Regarding length and width, my thinking is "bigger is better". If all you want to do is table legs, balusters, ect then just put an indexer on your Y axis on the table.

If on the other hand you want to make things like columns and various coverings then you want something like in the pictures here where i can do a 12" round column X 8' long

jerry_stanek
07-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Why not enclose the sides of your indexer pockets and put a hopper in the bottom with a dust connection.

rcnewcomb
07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Stan,

If you design the system so that the indexer platform can move up and down then you can cut larger that 6". The Z movement at that poit would only limit how much difference in cutting depth the column could have.

br928
07-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Jerry,

I was thinking of enclosing the working area with hinged acrylic panels and a hopper at the bottom attached to the cyclone collector.

Randall,

I thought about that but if I get over 12" diameter then I would have to modify the head and tailstock.

Like Jack said "bigger is better" but I would like to design for what is needed 95% of the time.

What is the optimum size and not so big to store out of the way when not being used?

myxpykalix
07-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Stan,
Go here and look at the 900, 1200, 1800 for the various footprints that these machines take up and I think you might be in the ballpark for sizes: http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=3

There was a guy here who made a standalone indexer using the shopbot control software. You might go look thru the archives and see if he might have some advice or design ideas that might help you. I wish i could recall who it was or give you more clues then that but i recall it was very well made.

billp
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Stan,
That was probably Joe Culpepper's rig which Jack is trying to remember;
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418&highlight=stand+indexer

myxpykalix
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm glad bills memory is better then mine... thats it!

billp
07-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I just clicked on search, and then typed "stand alone indexer"...
Amazing what one can learn when they try the search engine....

keith_outten
07-12-2010, 12:14 PM
About three years ago we needed eight 24" diameter by 9 foot tall cherry columns for a large commercial building. Not one company in Virginia, that we could find, could make these columns so we went out of state to get the job done. The cost was just over $8,000.00 each.

These jobs don't come along very often but they can be real profitable when they do, wish I had a means of turning large columns but I don't have the space in my workshop anyway. :)