PDA

View Full Version : Tool paths

matney_models
07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I set a tool path to cut the out side of line, and some of the parts are out side cuts and some are inside. What are I doing wrong????

Gary Campbell
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Kevin...
Can you post the file or a screenshot of the toolpath?

cabnet636
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
if it is an open vector it depends on the start point.

jim

matney_models
07-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Here you go.
file:///C:/Users/ShopBot/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

ken_rychlik
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
You need at least two toolpaths.

Select all the inside cuts and choose cut inside the line if that is the way you want them cut.

The select all the outside lines and select cut outside the line, if that is your preference.

Then have both boxes checked and save the toolpaths as one cut file.

You can move which one cuts first by placing them in the order you want them cut if you deire.

You can stack as many different cuts into one file to save as long as they are done with the same bit.

If you have a machine with an auto toolchanger, you could run different bits in the same file as well, but I am thinking you are not set up that way.

Kenneth

matney_models
07-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I have 2 cuts. !st cut is called inside cut, to cut the inside lighting holes.
And the 2nd is to cut out the part called out side. I ask it to cut it out side and it is a inside cut in the tool path.

tmerrill
07-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Kevin,

Your problem here is open vectors. When you have open vectors and select a profile outside/right or profile inside/left then the RIGHT and LEFT become the key word. Whether the toolpath will cut to the right or left of the open vector depends on the Start Point for that vector as Jim shows above. When you select closed vector shapes, then the OUTSIDE and INSIDE applies.

For the picture you show, the best situation is to have all the vectors closed, then you select them all and calculate a Profile Outside toolpath. If you are using the same bit for all profile cuts you can select the inside shape at the same time and the program will understand to cut on the inside of the inside shapes. In other words, the program will always cut to the outside of the shape you want to keep.

Look at the sample pictures below. In the top design all the vectors are open vectors even though they look like the proper design. When I select them and do a profile outside/RIGHT or profile inside/LEFT toolpath, the toolpath falls to the left or right of each open vector.

The bottom design is what you want. All vectors are closed shapes and I selected them all at one time, including the internal triangles, and calculated ONLY ONE Profile Outside toolpath. Notice how the toolpath follows the outside of the outer shape and the inside of the inner shapes.

Tim

ken_rychlik
07-12-2010, 08:53 AM
I think Tim nailed it here.

Right click when your desing is opened up and choose "select all open vectors"

Anything that is highlighted is not a closed vector or part. Fix those open areas and that will do it.

You can click two segments and right click again. There are options for how to join or close the vectors by moving end points, close with a smooth curve, ect...

There are also some tabs in the left side that do the same thing.

Kenneth

lshuck
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I had a similar problem once and I found that when I set up a mirror image I had to use "outside" to have it cut inside the line and had to use "inside" to cut outside the line.

I have not done any mirror images for some time so I do not know if it was an anomaly or just common sense on mirror images as in a mirror image the top becomes the bottom.