PDA

View Full Version : Indexer Question

kubotaman
07-18-2010, 12:13 AM
I just took possession of my new 12" indexer. How an a person use a #2 taper in the chuck or otherwise when the headstock hasn't the provision?

myxpykalix
07-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Maybe i don't understand but don't you use the morse taper in the headstock but you use it in the tailstock.

Did you get a chuck with the indexer? If you have an issue with holding larger material then your chuck will hold then i use these indexing hubs from legacy woodworking.
Here are pictures of a column being held by the hubs and you can see how the #2 morse taper in the tailstock

Brady Watson
07-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Post pics of your new 12" setup & the MT2 issue.

-B

kubotaman
07-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Yes I got the same chuck as everyone else. What I wanted to do is use the Morse taper in the headstock. That way it is very easy to change stock without losing center. I already have a Legacy and was going to use the drives that allow you to remove stock and re-install without the loss of center. If a person wanted to make numerous turnings all the same it would allow you to turn all of them with the same file thereby not having to change bits. Then install a new bit and cut the second file on all of them. It would allow a lot of time savings.

myxpykalix
07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I do the same thing as you want to do, using the indexing hubs. I can almost guarantee disaster by just using a morse taper to hold your part especially if you aregoing to be doing any kind of 3D design. I can see the part slipping because you have nothing holding it.

I have done parts that were not critical for placement like rounding then coves and beads or fluting trying but to re-index apart between 3d cuts especially using a morse taper will not work.

kubotaman
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Jack, What are you using in your tailstock to allow you to use the hubs? My tailstock is using a Morse #3 which I don't quite understand how you are "hooking" up your hubs to. Thay have to turn since they are on the tailstock. Why I want to hook them to the headstock is for turning rounds only. I think you would find a Morse taper holds a lot more than a person thinks. They have been used on metal lathes since time began. Does anyone know how a "Morse adaptor" can be used with the Talon chuck supplied with my indexer?

Brady Watson
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
You can use something like this: http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/36998/nm/3_Piece_Collet_Set?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=SiteChampion

But something shorter with a cylindrical body & no 1/2" shank would be better.

Are you not getting good results using a steb center in the headstock?

-B

waynelocke
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I use the legacy indexing hubs and a live center in the tailstock.

myxpykalix
07-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I use the indexing hubs in the jaws of the chuck in the headstock not in the tailstock. Because the jaws of the chuck are round and the hubs are flat and square they have a tendancy to center themselves in the center or bottom of the round. Then i draw a line on the hub across the jaw to make sure they stay aligned. I have a dead center in the tailstock so no hubs are used there. Plus where you want the control and the holding is in the headstock.

kubotaman
07-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Now I can understand how you are using the hubs. I misunderstood you to say you were using them in the tailstock. My mistake. I am going one further. I am having a block turned round, approximately 2-2.5 inches round with the #2 Morse taper in the center. That way I wouldn't have to take the "round" out of the headstock. :eek: