for our shop. Final backer board and installation in a few days
with installed pics to follow.

cartar929
07-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Custom signs and service in a "comic sans, corex world"

That is awesome.

marysvillesign
07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Thank C, an uphill battle trying to raise the bar hence the tag line.

Restricted by zoning to repairs or refinishing of a 35+ year old monument sign. Also wanted it to be simple and anchor the business in a residential area with increasing traffic of new potential customers.

Hoping to see more examples in the gallery or sign forums from others.

john_l
07-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Ron, what material and paints are you fond of? I really like the background texture too. Very nice.

mikeacg
07-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Impressive work! Thanks for sharing!

marysvillesign
07-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks all.
John, I work mostly with 15lb. Duna HDU and Sherwin Williams satin latex as I know how they work together. But would prefer 20lb. and a better color palette.

navigator7
07-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Thank C, an uphill battle trying to raise the bar hence the tag line.

Restricted by zoning to repairs or refinishing of a 35+ year old monument sign. Also wanted it to be simple and anchor the business in a residential area with increasing traffic of new potential customers.

Love the tag line!
Can you describe the restrictions or "zoning" difficulties you faced?
I find the reality that we no longer live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave intriguing.

Case in point:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=permits+for+yard+sale&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

marysvillesign
07-24-2010, 05:24 PM
By literal code for current zoning, limits of 9 Sq. Ft. of sign face and wall mounted.
I'm certain as a grandfathered business location it will be workable in some fashion. But the monument is inside a 10' setback requirement that will require a variance. As well, all new arch. drawings and permit fees make it a several hundred dollar process (at best) and likely months of meetings and planning. I'm in the exact situation as many of my customers. The cost, process and time overcomes the desire to proceed.

navigator7
07-24-2010, 05:59 PM
The cost, process and time overcomes the desire to proceed.

That is precisely my point. What you describe is criminal.

Does your town have a forgiveness clause? ;-)
It seems asking forgiveness may be a better solution than asking permission.
A quality sign and common sense placement should not raise complaints.

What happens then?

marysvillesign
07-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Chuck,
The days of forgiveness clauses are over for us common folk.
Still in full effect for politicians, oil companies and spoiled actresses though.:(

marysvillesign
07-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Chuck,
Forgot to add: Your on the common sense side of the mountains. This side is turned so far upside down that I doubt we'll recover in decades.

navigator7
07-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Chuck,
The days of forgiveness clauses are over for us common folk.
Still in full effect for politicians, oil companies and spoiled actresses though.:(

LOL. You "Get It!" ;-)

navigator7
07-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Chuck,
Forgot to add: You're on the common sense side of the mountains. This side is turned so far upside down that I doubt we'll recover in decades.

The great thing about living where I do is you can still say it with a can of spray paint and an apple bin. ;-)

Is there a market over there yet for a diabolical and satirical twist in signage as commentary on Common Sense's departure?

I do believe a market is growing for signage with plural meanings, satire and hard hitting reality.
I'll send you an example via e-mail.