PDA

View Full Version : pricing engraving

magic
07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I've been referring metal work to a sizeable mill shop and he's mentioned sending me his engraving - which may be small nameplate size or large logos in metals or plastics. (I also have a small 4 axis metal mill that'll read my files)

Is there a price guide for router engraving considering the various materials, bits, speeds and number of passes?

Thank you very much.

Magic

Brady Watson
07-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Engraving is the same as any other job.

Shop hourly rate X machine time + engraving tools (pro-rated for small jobs) = $$$ + materials

Smaller jobs billed at minimum billable time increment - in other words, what's the least amount that you would accept to setup, program and machine the part?

-B

magic
07-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I not bad at sign pricing and carving but I'm probably competing with the trophy shop, down the street, for engraving and... so... how do you figure out what they're charging?

GlenP
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey Magic. I never worry too much about what the other guy charges. I charge what I need to do the parts and run my business. Being a trophy shop he will probably come in low but this is where you need to justify your price and service to the potential client. You said you are sending him work and it seems he is recognizing that and reciprocating. I would get some sample material and do samples to show him and for you to test your cut time and costing. Also most trophy shops (at least around here) have small engravers so I would do up a larger sample that they possibly can't do or provide and promote it. He may not need it right now but you never know. In these times work is work. GOod luck let us know how you make out.:)