PDA

View Full Version : Tacky Paint

cartar929
07-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I am using an a water based all surface enamel latex paint and I am getting tacky results once the paint dries.

I am using it to paint wood, and I am spraying it from a gun with adding only a little bit of water to the hopper before spraying.

I am looking for a water based paint that dries hard and is not tacky, does anyone have suggestions?

joewino
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
We use Porter 100% acrylic with no problems. Some colors, like blue and red will dry a little slower than others.

A lot depends on the climate also. Here, in the summer you can put on three coats the same day.

Also, how thick a coat you are spraying could make drying time a little longer.

bleeth
07-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Adding a bit of Japan air drier can help a lot. Your paint store should carry it. It also may be that you are "over applying" a few thin coats with the first one not looking like it has covered are better than one thick one.

cartar929
07-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Will the Japan Dryer work with water based paints, because I thought it was only for oil based?

Are Porter paints carried locally (via Lowe's, Sherwin Williams, or some other source), or does it need to be special ordered?

It has been nice and extremely humid around here, but I painted this project about two weeks ago and the thing is still tacky. I appreciate the suggestions.

joewino
07-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Porter paints are not available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., but carried by individually owned paint stores. Just do a Google search and you can find the store nearest you. Ours is 70 miles away.

Check with the dealer who sold you the paint. They may have some suggestions. Two weeks is a long time, high humidity or not. Dryers are available for just about any type paint, but I don't have any experience using them.

What brand were you using?

cartar929
07-22-2010, 09:49 AM
This particular brand is Valspar, I know the cheap stuff. But, we use it to come down on price for certain people.

Anyway I usually use Sherwin Williams all surface enamel latex, but have had some similar tacky issues not as bad as the Valspar all surface enamel.

The additive dryer seams like a good idea, I'll have to look a little more into it to see what it is about.

Good call on the Google search I got one 14 miles away.

joewino
07-22-2010, 11:48 AM
You didn't ask for a response but I'll give one nonetheless:

How much money do you save by using cheaper paint for some customers? It seems like you would have to have a lot of different paints for different customers and how would that save you money?

In my opinion (and it's just that - an opinion) what little you save in paint is eaten up with extra time to buy something different. And now you are having to wait two weeks for something to dry that you may have saved a few cents on.

In the fifty plus years that I've been doing this I've always used premium materials (which means more expensive) and not had to deal with problems. The customer doesn't know what brand of anything I'm using, but I know and that's what concerns me. By using only quality materials and equipment I don't have to worry about failure of the product and I can sleep better at night.

And it doesn't cost me any more because the customer is paying for the materials I use anyway.

cartar929
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Raymond I agree, I just work here, and sleep well.

joewino
07-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Sorry...I didn't mean to preach.

cartar929
07-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Raymond that's fine, still appreciate the feedback.

navigator7
07-23-2010, 08:56 AM
You didn't ask for a response but I'll give one nonetheless:

How much money do you save by using cheaper paint for some customers? It seems like you would have to have a lot of different paints for different customers and how would that save you money?

In my opinion (and it's just that - an opinion) what little you save in paint is eaten up with extra time to buy something different. And now you are having to wait two weeks for something to dry that you may have saved a few cents on.

In the fifty plus years that I've been doing this I've always used premium materials (which means more expensive) and not had to deal with problems. The customer doesn't know what brand of anything I'm using, but I know and that's what concerns me. By using only quality materials and equipment I don't have to worry about failure of the product and I can sleep better at night.

And it doesn't cost me any more because the customer is paying for the materials I use anyway.

Outstanding! Very strong argument! You take control. Control the customer and control your life. Great post. 100% agreement. Sure is an expensive lesson to learn.

I had a customer elect to spread $180.00 worth of premium concrete sealer but decided to cut me out of the loop to save money. His penchant to save money cost him triple. When done, his beautiful stained concrete looked like plastic bubble wrap. It was a glorious snafu!