PDA

View Full Version : Shop Security Solved - vicious attack dog

harryball
07-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Well... ok he IS a dog so I was 1/3 accurate with the description. :)

<begin shopbot related material>
The shop/shopbot related part of this post occurs now... for guys that have dogs how do you protect their hearing? I know it depends on the dog wearing them, has anyone has success with some of the dog muffs?
</end shopbot related material>

Meet Henry... while we have always had a dog around I have not considered any of them "mine". Henry is only MY second dog after 24 years after the death of the first, Bruno a loyal black lab. Since I finally finished mourning (you guys know I'm sentimental that way :D ) I decided to go to the animal shelter and get a another lab. While I was there Henry sat quietly looking at me. So... I couldn't stand it, we visited with him and then took him home.

He is a bit thin but gaining weight and his coat is cleaning up. It turns out, he is full Siberian Husky less than 2 years old and has had training. He crates on command, comes to you, knows what "NO" means and responds by stopping whatever he's doing, he is hous... err shop trained. You can place a peice of ham in his mouth and he will not try to eat it until you remove your hand. Even when he was hungry and miserable he was very careful not to hurt anyone.

While the shelter cannot legally reveal personal specifics enough information was hinted we believe that he was a foreclosure abandoned dog. The shelter was heart breaking, if I wish I could have taken them all home. While Henry is great... I can't help but to think of the ones left behind.

Why did I name him Henry? I have no idea. I didn't officially name him for 3 days until after the vet check. But when I looked into his eyes for a while... "Henry" popped into my head.

... he LOVES ice water, he tries to open doors (and just might), he prefers to sleep in his crate and insists you close the door, he will come get you if he's in the shop and wants to go relieve himself. He does not bark, these dogs howl and he doesn't do a lot of that.

So guys... if you want a dog and can give a dog a good home, go to the shelter and look. It is not a collection of strays anymore. We saw a dozen labs, foofoo dogs, boxers, terriers... so many of them look like they should be running around a yard or laying on a couch somewhere.

Why not give a dog a home?

/RB

sailfl
07-24-2010, 06:06 PM
He looks like a very sweet dog. It is great when any animal that is homeless finds a home.

gerryv
07-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for that; you're a good man.

john_l
07-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Hats off to you. Thats great. I had a Siberian Husky that was huge for the breed. He held at 100# for most of his life. Lived almost 20 years, would howl side to side (like a siren) for me until I came back home again. Always had that "wild" look, even when he was elderly. Very intimidating, he likely saved us from being "cased" several times over the years, but he was a teddy bear.

myxpykalix
07-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Hey Harry Ball...you should have named him "Hairy Ball" after you...Those eyes look like they would melt your heart.....

harryball
07-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the comments. We went for a run this morning, about 1/2 mile due to the heat. It was all I could do to keep up... (on the utility cart) I was sure tired when we got back. :D

Intimidating is an apt description. The wolf like profile and movements along with the piercing stare when he sees someone he doesn't know... :eek:

It's funny (unless you are them) to watch someone walk around the corner and see him hop up and give them the "look". They stop cold and start backing up.

/RB