View Full Version : Machined Aluminum

valensign
06-03-2003, 12:07 PM
\image http://incolor.inetnebr.com/debekker/airclean18.jpg
Just finshed with this item Thought you all might like to see.. Its machined out of 3/8 plate alum and all done on the SB.

valensign
06-03-2003, 12:10 PM
OOPPs ment to have the photo in the post.. I can never figure this out right on this BB. So heres the link to the in progress photos also..
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/debekker/
Its all the items that say aircleaner

don_ask
06-03-2003, 12:17 PM
VERY NICE. What kind of bit(s) did you use?

artisan
06-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Very Impressive ! Did you use a mister to cool the bit? From the photos it looked like it was dry cut. I too am curious to know what bits and software you used. It looks like an Artcam piece (guessing) and you must have used Ball Mills after the intial hog out. Thanks for sharing....Very Nice Work....D

kerrazy
06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Not worthy...I am definatley not worthy!!
That is very impressive work.
Dale

valensign
06-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks Guys...
The bits I use were just standard Carbide Milling bits.
http://www.wttool.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv
(Great source for bits..)
3/8 to rough it out with a .05 allowance
1/4 and 1/8 to finish the low face
1/4 end mill to do the surf milling on the letters with .02 allowance
then surf milled the letters with a 1/8th Ball bit also use ball to cut the scroll work.
I didnt set up my mister because It would have made a mess so I just used some spray liquid wrench to lube the bit every once in awhile worked rather well suprisingly (I'm going to make a Tub out of 3/4 plex with some sides so I can use a mister without splattering everything.)That way I can speed up my cutting as I could only cut at about .2ips without over heating..
It was designed in Signlab and the codes were done in Artcam.
After the machining I glass beaded it to remove the machining lines. On The next one I will blast it more as It didnt get all the lines out of the letters and didn't see it till I got it all polished and backed off a ways

grant@shopbottools.com
06-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Excellent work, William!

Could we feature you as one of our ShopBot Spotlights?

Grant Bailey
ShopBot Tools Inc.
grant@Shopbottools.com (mailto:grant@Shopbottools.com)

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
06-04-2003, 02:50 PM
That's great!

papadaveinwy
06-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Hey DeBekker, ATTA Boy!!!! Looks like you may have taken some classes from Doc down in Canon City at the High School? Yea Guys that is what someone from Colorado Can Do !!!!!!!!! David in Wyoming (formerly of Colorado) P.S. Bill, Did You know Chuck Snow?

pappy
06-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Bill,
I am very impressed with the milling work.
Hope I can do as well some day.
It took me a while to realize what it said.

valensign
06-06-2003, 04:25 AM
papadave.. I knew a Snow In HS I can't for the life of me remember his first name..Drove and old Red Chevy PU He went in the Navy.
And God I havent heard Doc Jensens name in 20 years. The last time I talked to him some freshman turned a jointer on with his hand in there and took a coulple fingers off.
So whats your real name. Did I know you or you my dads age.