PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

Big-Tex
07-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Gentleman
I got to do sign that would be hanging on chains in exterior conditions.
Size 7'x4' I think I have design down and sold to customer.

I am debating on material choice.
1. Sign foam glued up to extirra
2. 1.5" pine boards glue up.

Suggestions welcome pros and cons.

Team One Display Services
07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
The one thing about adding the Extira is that it will add a lot of weight. I've lamintated a lot of HDU to Extira for rigidity with great results - but for a hanging sign how about adding a frame? Or, laminating two pieces of sign foam around an interior frame with mounting points extending out of the sign?

A 7' x 4' hanging sign is going to catch a lot of wind!

signtist
07-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd weld a frame up and then laminate. This is too big of a sign to just hang with eye screws.

Big-Tex
07-26-2010, 11:50 AM
4x7 is nominal size, I am looking for weight so it would not flap in low air movement.
Mouting will be done with 2x4s screwed to back and metal straps with attached hardware.

joe
07-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Thomas,

I'm with John A about the frame. The sign should go along for a ride having no structural requirements. It will last much better that way.

Choosing what materials for a sign:
What kind of business will be advertised?
What's the architecture like?
What techniques will be used?
Did the customer give you a budget to work with?

Without knowing the answers to these questions it's hard to say.

A doctors office or attorneys office will be more up scale where a used car lot wouldn't require the same materials. A horse ranch will work better with rough cedar while a funeral home needs a slicker product. It's best to match materials which go with a business.

Big-Tex
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Here is basic design that was accepted and will be improved.
Background will have chiseled texture. Size and method of mounting I am limited to as it will replace exiting and worn out, same in size and customer is specific about same means of install as existing. Colors will probably change.

joe
07-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Thomas,

So we have a western theme. Good start.

To cary this off I would suggest using real wood Like cedar. Your local Lowe's should have a good supply.

I'd also suggest having a welder make up some decorative brackets for the chain to attach too. These could be made to stradle the top of your signs. I'd use a chain with big, fat, links. Have them welded together so they would form a solid piece. That cuts down on viberation.

There should be vertical braces along the back, these are called cleates. You don't have to glue the boards up, making a single piece. I almost never glue up my big cedar signs. It will cause them to split.

You could pocket the letters for added effect.

HDU would be my last choice.

Big-Tex
07-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Thomas,

So we have a western theme. Good start.

You could pocket the letters for added effect.

Yup Joe Western feel.
Pocketed letters will be my choice and possibly do horse as separete piece to make it easy.

This was one of preliminary designs. I did not want to spend alot of time.

I will spend more time to refine only one whichever customer picks.
Time is $$$.

Thanks for input guys.