PDA

View Full Version : To shopbot or not

kevin
07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
In design when adding feature when is to much to much?

I ask the client to seal the sale they could pick out a carving .What they pick out was **** .

I think leaving a alone is enough ?
Thoughts?

Brady Watson
07-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Make sure they physically sign off on the design, which should include photos and drawings - they get a copy, you get a copy. Parts is parts. Ugly or not - if they want it - you make it. If they can afford what you design instead, and they like it, then go with that. Otherwise, omit this from your portfolio.

-B

john_l
07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Kevin, In my opinion, it may depend on what the carving is? Depth? Finish planned contrast level? the Room decor, etc etc.

I'm no artist and I may be considered a very foolish business person but I have told many, many customers that I would NOT build what they request if I found that, in my opinion, it wouldn't look good, be functional, be practical, etc.

I always listen to them first. I try to be polite in explanations. I try to convey my concern for a good project outcome. I even try to make it look like it's their idea if I need to. But there are paths I wont travel down.

Gary Campbell
07-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Kevin...
Since I have been down this road a few times and gone both ways...

I now listen to the words of a wise man, my Son. "Ol' Man, you either get to make what you want..... or money!"

jsooter
07-27-2010, 12:22 AM
That is an awesome mantel!

kevin
07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Thank you for the compliment, Jason. Here is my question: Does the mantle need a carving or is it just fine? But regardless, if client wants it, I will add it. I just want a different perspective on the design.
Kevin

myxpykalix
07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Kevin,
first, its beautiful work. From my perspective the feature on this is the columns. This is essentially a 3D piece of work. Now looking at it you have to ask yourself (where) within this design could i do some 3d carving, or vcarving and make it large enough to stand out as a feature?

Then ask what would the theme of that carving be and would it be appropriate to the overall design? It seems out west it might be more appropriate for say wildlife carvings on doors, cabinets, ect where it might not be in the east.

Not sure what program you designed the mantle in but couldn't you (if nothing else) take a picture of the mantle, then design the 3d carving in whatever pgm you use and cut and paste that into the picture to show the client?
You don't want to overcrowd the design. I think it looks great as-is...

kevin
07-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I think your right

dlcw
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Kevin,

Another thing to think about - is a carving appropriate for this style of mantle. This looks like it will be going into a formal atmosphere - Victorian?

My thoughts are that a carving might distract an audience from the beauty and craftsmanship of the mantle itself. Personally I wouldn't add a carving in that it would "fight" with the design of the mantle.

Mayo
07-29-2010, 01:43 AM
I think it looks good without any additional 3D carving.
The one thing that does look out of place though, is the end panel on the right, near the top. I think that panel would look better with the same vertical space in the center as the panels on the front. In other words, the frame size (height) should be the same frame size as the ones on the front.

Keep in mind this opinion is from someone who has never made a mantel :D

lex
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I think it looks good without any additional 3D carving.
The one thing that does look out of place though, is the end panel on the right, near the top. I think that panel would look better with the same vertical space in the center as the panels on the front. In other words, the frame size (height) should be the same frame size as the ones on the front.

Keep in mind this opinion is from someone who has never made a mantel :D

I agree. The end looks "added". On the other hand if you made that a solid piece it would be a great place to put a small carving:P

jsooter
07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with continuing the front on around the sides. But I didnt notice until it was mentioned. I have made mantels but not this cool or huge!

kevin
08-12-2010, 05:29 PM
It was installed but a huge gap on top.I fixed it by putting in a little arch but I was right on code by allowing 6" on top from the fire box and a couple of inches on the side. The customers agreed that carvings would have been too much. The customers were very happy. Most of the times, the customers will let me design because they look at my website and they trust me. They have an idea of what I will do. I am not promoting to do it my way however the clients will not spend extra for auto cad drawings and half of the time I don't know what I will do and I agree with your comments Gary, I am here to try and make money. It only took 3 days to make this and the finishing took a little longer.

jsooter
08-12-2010, 08:19 PM
That really looks great!

myxpykalix
08-12-2010, 09:42 PM
excellent finished product kevin